STDs Expert Forum
from an oral sex to 3 months of hell

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

from an oral sex to 3 months of hell

Hello doctor,
i'm married but i received unprotected oral sex from sex worker. regret!
after 3 days i had a mild pain in my penis, and tingling tip of my penis and cold feeling on tip of my penis(NO burning during urination,discharge,testicle pain)
i didn't go to doctor and took Doxycycline for a week.
Later i went to an urologist. Urologist told me he can't test me now, but gave me shot of rocephin.
After got tested swab test, gonorrhea, chlamidya negative, urine test, ultrasound fine. My complains gone. he told me to forget it.
But a couple of days later my complaints began (same). i went back to him, this time he told me to use tavanic (levaquin) for 28 days.my complaints got lesser.
i had hiv test on the 55 day.i guess it's reliable
I went to a professor this time. he said if there's something it's gotta be sexual related.
new tests, hsv1-2, chlamydia trachomatis igm, ureaplasma mycoplasma came negative, but the chlamydia trachomatis igg came positive but i learnt that this positive means nothing cos it refers to a previous infection. he told me to take Doxycycline for a month. now i'm on my 16th. in the last 4 days i had nothing, but now i feel mildy discomfort feeling.
1) what do you think i have? gotta be about the event.
2) chlamydia trachomatis igg came positive. is it possible that i had chlamydia first and i didn't get tested and used antibiotics straight away and it got cured a bit but not properly. so it  did came negative in the tests which i had after. is it possible it reoccured? but if it reocured, can the antibiotics that i take now can wash it away?
3) if after these 28 days, this little discomfort in my penis continues, doctor said, to do cycostopy!! do you think its necessary?
4) i feel a bit discomfort at my armpit, i check with my fingers if my lymph node swollen or not.  can it be related to that?
5) sex with wife OK?
Thanks so much for your help in advance.
I'm sorry these concerns continue to both you.  I am also sorry you seem to be getting advice from "a professor" who is misinformed and apparently understands little about STDs and their management.  It is no surprise to me that the additional tests you got were negative.  As for the chlamydial IgG test, this too was a waste of time and money since the test is not reliable and has no recommended role in diagnosis of acute STDs; when truly positive the IgG test is imply is an indicator of past infection.

You and I still disagree about this, at least in terms of organic causes of your symptoms.  As to psychological contributors, I think this is a real possibility and would suggest seeking the input of a mental health professional to help you deal with your anxiety and guilt over your mis-step.  

No.  See above.  You have had more than enough therapy for chlamydial infection.  

You should discuss this with your urologist to understand what he would be looking for.  

No.

5) sex with wife OK?
There is no evidence at all that you have an STD related to the exposure that you described.  Thus, there is no reason related to that, or your continuing concerns not to have unprotected sex with your wife.

EWH

Doctor, you're so helpful. One last thing, could i have some king of NGU that reoccurs? the medication i got, can it wash NGU away?

Different doctors giving medications, as a result i've been on antibiotics for two months (doing it secretly from my wife) and you're saying psychology can make penis discomfort complaints.

i don't think i have prostatitis or chronic pelvic syndrome cos' all started after the event that i regret.

for the last resort i will try to have mental help. in the meantime i try to live with that and believe it's gonna go away itself soon, has no harm to my wife and finish the medication for the last time.

thanks again for yor help.
There are a small set of persons with NGU who have recurrent NGU which is refreactory to medicines. In these cases there is no clear bacterail or viral cause and expereince has shown that such persons are not infectious or dangerous for their sexual partners.  In your case, there is no objective evidence (i.e. increase white blood cells in urethral gram stains) that you have NGU.  

Different doctors may find it easier to give you medicines or to do tests that to confrontyour concerns when they have nothing objective to treat.  it gets you out of their office (sorry but sadly this is true in SOME instances).

Not much more to say here.  EWH

Just a quick question not to bother you anymore, doctor.
now i'm doxycicline, just to make it sure that everything gone, should i take 1gr of Zithromax (Azitrhomisin)? Can I take it while i'm on doxycicline?

Thanks so much!

There is no evidence you needed treatment to start with.  I would not recomment further therapy with any medication. EWH

so many people post their situations and seek help and others read the post trying to find similar cases but so many posts left unfollowed up.
you can read my case above' for 3.5 months i felt mild pain and tingling sensation on the tip of my penis (no discharge, no pain urination). i took doxy, levaquin, zithromax ... test came negative but i believed that there's something.
anyway, last week a close relative of mine got sick and we i had to deal with it. i left my problems aside and dealt with my relatives. and what i realised is i have no more complaints!
if your tests came up negative and you did all the necessary medications. whay don't you try to leave yourself alone, the thinking doesn't go at once but fades away. after ngatives test and meds. try to forget about it. it did good to me, worth to try and don't make a mistake again like me.