STDs Community
gardnerella after hysterectomy

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

gardnerella after hysterectomy

I had a vag hysterectomy with A&P repair 3 weeks ago and still have a watery, fishy discharge. They told me it is gardnerella and want me to take clindamycin. I am opposed to antibiotics and have used alternative & homeopathy for the past 15 yrs.
I do not have any other symptoms other than the discharge.
I am taking probiotics and echinacea with golden seal.
Is there anything else I can do to prevent having to take the antibiotic?
Thank you.
Hi there -

Since you just had a hysterectomy, I would recommend taking the antibiotic.  Your surgery was very recent, and things are still healing, and this makes it easier to get complications from a simple infection like bacterial vaginosis (gardnerella).

I understand that you are opposed to it, but I am guessing at some point, you got some antibiotics in the hospital or during your surgery.  That's common.

If your surgery was not so recent, I would feel better recommending other treatments, but not now.  Everything has side effects, including alternative and homeopathic treatments, and I'd hate for you to mess up your healing from the surgery.  You only get one chance to heal right.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better.

AJ

Thanks for your answer, I understand your position.
I probably will take the antibiotic.
I'm interested in what other treatments would you recommend otherwise?
There are a couple of things you might consider should you get one later, or if you find you are getting more BV infections since your surgery.  (I don't know if you still have ovaries or not, but hormonal changes can trigger bv infections.)

One is a probiotic called femdophilous.  Actually, that's probably the only one I would recommend, and it does more to help prevent than treat.

Some recommend boric acid, but its for sure not something I would use just after surgery, and I haven't used it myself, so I can't say a lot about it.

Aj
Hi again,
I bought some Femdophilus. I'm wondering if you would advise taking it while on the antibiotic. I started taking clindomycin a few days ago. Or should I wait until I've finished the course.
btw I kept my ovaries!
Hi there -

You can start taking it now.  

Hope you feel better!!

Aj