STDs Community
gonorrhea of the throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

gonorrhea of the throat

I know that regular gonorrhea in the genitals does not always show symptoms, but I was wondering about gonorrhea in the throat? It seems to me like a throat infection would be different, because as far as I know, any bacteria in the throat wouldn't be considered an infection if it wasn't giving you symptoms, such as a sore throat. I'm wondering this because I heard it's possible for gonorrhea in the throat to go away by itself, without the help of antibiotics, like a regular infection. So does this mean that if a person has gonorrhea of the throat that causes a sore throat or laryngitis, and the symptoms have gone away, is the STD gone? Is it possible to pass it on to others?
what makes you think you have oral gonorrhea?

grace
I would suggest that you consider yourself contagous untill confirmed otherwise through a STD test
Gonorrhea is a sexually transmitted disease that can be transmitted through contact with an infected vagina, penis, anus, or mouth. Gonorrhea is spread through semen or vaginal fluids during unprotected sexual intercourse, both genital and oral. So, technically, gonorrhea can infect the oral region when it is transmitted through oral sex, (but it cannot be transmitted simply through kissing). An oral gonorrhea infection will not typically infect the mouth or tongue, but in rare cases it may infect the throat. Gonorrhea of the throat is also known as pharyngeal gonorrhea. This type of oral gonorrhea infection is almost always considered harmless. Most people will not experience symptoms, the oral infection is difficult to spread to others, and the oral infection will usually go away by itself without treatment.