STDs Community
gonorrhea test questions

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

gonorrhea test questions

How accurate is a gonorrhea swab test when there is no discharge present? 2 weeks post infection???
Do most cases of gonorrhea in men when penile pain is present acompany with discharge?

Long story short, had a risky encounter days later developed urethral pain without discharge got tested for both chla, and gono bot negative was also treated just incase but had no effect on pain. Pain went away for a month or so since has come back. Got tested for everything else at 4 months herp ect all -... I have been treated with zithro- Cifx, and Doxi along with Ammox and Flagyl to no avail. Any Ideas? Also would Ammox cause false - on Gon swab?
Grace,
I was going to post some additional questions to the doctors forum, but it wouldnt take my credit card. Do they put a block on cards if you have already asked a question in months previous? Im not sure of all the rules...
Talk to you soon I hope,
Lost 344
There is a limit on how many questions you can ask the Dr's in a 6 month period.

Sawb/urine same accurace, discharge is just a symptoms and doesn't need to be present. But over 90% of men get discharge. So with no discharge and negative test do not worry. And with all the medication if you had gonorrhea it would be cured.

What was your risk?
Thanks for the quick responce Vance

I had a drunken one nighter with a girl who later told me that she had a yeast infection??? Anyway I used protection but decided to take a break after that I re-used a condom and think I could have possibly put it on inside out "verry intoxicated" a few days later got some very un comfortable urethral symptoms. I went to the doc thinking I had a UTI they gave me a shot of penicillin and 14 days worth of Ammox, when that didnt help any I went back and got tested "all -"  for everything and got a dose of 1g zithro, and 400mg cefixime, that didnt help so a week later got a weeks worth of Doxi to no avail...Also took Flagyl 500 mg 3 times a day for 5 days and finshed it off with a 2 gram single dose. Tested negative for HSV at 6 weeks 10 weeks 12 weeks and 16 weeks. The pain went away for about a month and a half and has now began again. The pain comes and goes this time around. Ive also been to two diffrent urologist and and had multiple urine cultures and urine test all - as well. I have never had any problems like this ever and I find it hard to believe that all this just so happend to begin a few days after this experience. I am married and have never done anything like this before, once the pain stoped the first time and I all my test were negative I resumed normal activities with my wife, but now I am really conserned that It has returned... Im at a loss... This was in July "5 months ago"
So do you know what the accuracy of a swab is? Im just wondering if the test and the medications that I took could have missed gonorrhea.
As i said above, "with all the medication if you had gonorrhea it would be cured."

Even so I really do not see a risk from the above situation.
So no info on how accurate swab test are in general?
Also would symptoms of an infection come and go or would they be more of a constant pain?

Thanks for your help!
How accurate...does it even really matter? Maybe for your anxiety but not for this question overall. Swab and urine test as I said are the same for accurancy. Tests given are not 50% accurate, if they were they wouldn't even do them.

Symptoms are constant...STD is not your concern.
One more question Vance and Ill try to leave you alone. Do you think the Ammoxicillin that I took for the 12 days leading up to my swab test would have affected the outcome? I was still having pain so I dont feel that what ever was there wan gone... What does the swab test for anyway DNA? or is it a culture???

Thanks Vance you are a great help to all of us!
Grace,
Can you and your infinate knowlage please shine some light on the last Question that I have posted here.