STDs Expert Forum
groin cramping

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

groin cramping

Hi, I had unprotected sex about 2 months ago.  Oral was performed on me and after I noticed a quarter shaped blood spot on my penis (hood).  I assumed it was my blood since it was a little ruff.  I didnt know the person and left afterwards.  I went to my md and I thought I was having ARS symptoms cause I was so worried about HIV and I was stressing out (ie.neck shoulder tension).  My doctor at day 11 did a PCR test and it came back negative.  Later at week 6.5 I got a HIV test and that too came back negative.  I know I still need to wait until at least 3 months.  My problem is I have had groin cramps for about 6 weeks.  I told my doctor and he said there was one swollen lymph node but he checked all my other nodes (armpit and neck jaw) and said nothing was swollen.  I had thought that I was having some burning sensation when urinating and so they did a gonor and chlamydia screening and that came back negative.  They treated me anyway with zithromax 1 gram.  Still having the groin problem he checked me for a hernia and there was no sign of one.  At another appointment he suggested doing a urine test for i guess a UTI.  Still waiting for those results.  While all this has happend, I have had extreme muscle cramps burning and sore muscle all over my body, never really goes away.  I have no fever or any other sign of an infection.  I also have a history of chronic prostitis.  I have had that checked out by my urologist a few weeks back and he said everything seem ok (I told him about everything that was happening and he said everything seem ok down there), he also check for a hernia and said no hernia but maybe a start of one.  I am at a loss, mainly because my md's seem to think its all in my head (but its all in my groin really)...I have been under a tremendous amount of stress and guilt and anxiety, do you think this could be from that (muscle tension), I do have to admit that after he told me about the one swollen lymph node in my groin I have been checking down there a lot and have been thinking about it a lot.......any advice would be great.
You are seeing an apparently knowledgeable health care provider; your symptoms don't even remotely suggest HIV or any other STD; and you have had negative HIV tests.  (You don't really need to wait 3 months; with modern HIV tests, no infected person has a negative test result 6 or more weeks after infectionl.)

Follow up with your health care provider.  Sorry I can't help more.  Good luck--

HHH, MD
You don't need to wait 3 months for confirmation that you don't have HIV. The test at 6.5 weeks is 100% reliable. It is a misconception that 3 months is required -- 6 weeks is sufficient with modern testing techniques.
Ben
I had a oraquick advantage hiv1 and hiv2 test performed so would the time frame be the same?
I'm not sure about your specific question, but what I do know is that 6 weeks is all the time you need for a conclusive result. Even 4 weeks is pretty conclusive (I think 90 or 95% accuracy). Wait for the Dr to reply but really don't worry.
Hi, Thanks for all responding!  Im confident its not hiv or other std, but could just a general bacteria infect in this situation, a cut on penis and another persons saliva?  I have posted on the mental health forum to see what they say about my stress causing my symptoms.  Its all pretty painful, and I feel kind of like a hypochondriac.
I have experienced many of those same symptoms as you describe. Groin pain on both sides, lower back pain and pain in my legs..you name it I've got it. I had what I thought to be the classic symptoms of Herpes (minus the lesions)..but that test as well as every other test I've taken came back negative. I'm trying to work up the nerve to go take an HIV test. I prefer to use the rapid testing..don't think my nerves can withstand any more "waiting periods" right now. Tracking down these problems can be a *****..especially when you dont have any health insurance and your resources are limited. Very stressful to say the least. I empathize with you completely.
Hi thanks for all responses...I just had one follow up question for the md if he can answer.  I read somewhere that muscle tension and burning can occur after a viral infection, post viral mytosis???  Does that occur often and if so is it only after an obvious viral illness (flu symptoms)....I dont have any other symptoms other than muscle aches cramps and burning pain....thanks (last question)
I am infected but I dnt know wit wat and I am afraid to find out but worst to tell my partner