STDs Community
herpe antibodies

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

herpe antibodies

aj i was wondering what can cause delay of herpe antibodies to a newly infected besides if they had already had hsv-1.basically are there any factors that lead to antibodies being produced in a longer amount of time and shorter.some people develop in 3 weeks such as yourself.what may cause someone to develop them at 3 months for example.sorry if this question is slightly complicated but im just a little curious.thank you aj
It's most helpful if you just keep adding all your questions to the same post. You have multiple threads going right now which just makes more work for those of us who regularly answer posts here :(

Everyone's body is different. You and I could sleep with the same exact person at the same time and both of us contract herpes from them.  You might get an incredibly obvious "classic" type ob within 6 days that sends you running to the doctor's in pain.  You could get a lesion culture done then and it would be positive and when you went back in a month for follow up, get the blood test done and your hsv2 igg would be + then.  I could not get any signs of infection at all or perhaps just something mild that I mistake as a hemorrhoidal itch.  I could go to the doctors after a month to get a herpes blood test drawn after hearing that you got herpes from our 3some and it would be negative for hsv2 so I'd be dancing in the streets.   when I got retested at the 4 month mark though it would be +.  

Since we can't tell just by listening to you how your body will react - we recommend going with the averages and getting tested at the 4 month mark. Very few folks need longer than that to seroconvert.

grace
thank you grace.i got tested at exactly 2 months and 1 day. do you think most people would have already developed antibodies. i thought that maybe a strong immune system or some sort may delay it but i guess the development of antibodies is the same as symptoms.Different in every person.this can be very stressful man :( and sorry for the new thread i just decided to make a new one because it was a new topic but thank you i will be sticking to this one.
also adding to the question.a herpe 2 rapid test was performed on me.i know it cant detect antibodies if they are not there but what did it mean by "serconversion in as little as 2 weeks" you can google herpe 2 rapid test.the biokit and see what i am talking about.im just a little confused.does this mean it detects anything herpe suspect? im really not sure thank you. please also answer the question in the previous post
Oh that's the same kind of **** that pregnancy tests say - results up to 5 days sooner than the other leading home pregnancy test.

Then you read the fine print, and it says it *might* tell you sooner, but the accuracy rate of a test say 5 days before your period is due is about 50% or something.  Its not 100% accurate until you are a certain amount of time late for your period.

What its saying is that if your body increases the hormone that increases with pregnancy fast, we'll be able to tell you.  

If I remember correctly, about 75% of folks will be positive by the 8 week mark on a herpes test.

And it would make more sense that if you had a strong immune system, your body would make antibodies a bit quicker because it will respond to the "invader" and send the troops (antibodies) to fight it.
Aj
thank you aj.uqh this can be so stressful.im beginning to feel that 2 months isnt accurate.i dont know weather or not to relax or not.i know i will defently not have unpretected sex.but i just want a peaceful rest and dont know if i can :(
Refresh my memory (and this is why we love everything in one thread) - have you had symptoms?  I seem to remember you had a bump?

Aj
yea im sorry for the new thread by the way i just thought because of the new topic.but im sticking to this one.and yes i did have a bump.two days after the sex.they resembled ingrown hairs and when i popped it some puss came out.and i also was applying fluocinoide 0.05% to it. after about one week they were gone. also had the 2 rice grain like bumps that were examined by 4 docs. my last doc explained them to me as some type of glans (glands). and then described the ones around my penis head perile papules that i had before unpretected sex. so i felt confident she knew what she was talkign about.
Sounds like she does, and like you don't have much to worry about.

Herpes doesn't really resemble ingrown hairs.

Aj
thank you aj. for awhile now ive had a gut feeling of confidence and so far ive been rite. that i was going to test negative for all stds.even that i was going to pass my regents exams and i did lol.i just hope hope im rite.so far i have been rite.i just pray im ok man.i get my hsv1 results back next week.wish me luck aj. :)
You'll be fine.

Now go do something FUN and take your mind off this.  :)

Aj
Aj..good news i also tested negative for HSV-1. my nurse will be giving me a call back so i can ask her some questions about the test and other stds.thank you aj for everything.and Everyone else who helped me out.ill keep you guys posted.
YAY!

Aj
aj do you think  the bumps on penis and the one i explained to you before the big pimple like bump on my lower butt near my scrotum was sypmptoms of hepres? although i applied fluocinodie 0.05% to it .and you insist it wouldve made it worst..but what i am trying to get at is..LETS SAY..those were symptoms..would it be more likely that i wouldve have detectable antibodies in my blood by now.basically does having symptoms mean antibodies present..weeks to about 2 months after.i dont know if you really understand the question but please try your best. i feel like i really need to stop worrying idk yet though
Haven't I answered this already?  I don't think I ever said I thought it was herpes- in fact, I said it didn't sound like it, didn't I?

Aj
yes you did..i was wasnt saying that you did say it sound like herpes? what makes you think that. If it was the part i said you insisted on saying that if it was herpes it wouldve made it worse..meaning you said it wasnt sounding like herpes. but aj can you please answer the question if you can.please and thank you
lol I'm not even sure of the question now.

If you are talking about antibodies, then yes, most people test positive by the 2 month mark.

Aj
lol just forget it ive made thing far to complicated i really need to chill and relax
im planning on being retested.but i do not know.should i be retested in september or august. and the upretected sex happened june 5. i would retest in both months but the fee is $40.it is resenable but still money lol.
Why would anyone care whether you are HSV-1 positive or not?

Something like 80-90% of people in the U.S. have antibodies for HSV-1. It's a lysogenic virus so sitting dormant in their 5th cranial nerve while the antibodies keep it at bay.

Nerves don't express MHC class 1 molecules so your immune system has little if anyway of destroying infected cells even when they transition from a lysogen to a lytic cycle.

Anyways most everyone has it so it doesn't matter.
im really not sure what you even just said.it is is important to know weather you have ANY type of std to stop the spread of it..it may be common but so what..wouldnt you want to know the state of your body? and what you can and cannot pass on to another person?
If you're trying to stop the spread of HSV-1, you're CLUELESS.

When 80-90% of the population has the virus...what's the point?
Radian - watch the tone, ok?

And its not 80-90% until you reach the old folks' home.  Overall, its about 60%.

If he wants to know if he has it, that's his choice.

Aj
lol im not trying to STOP the virus..im trying to help not spread it...most people will indeed get a std some point in there life..does that mean its ok to just give one to them.you can keep your ignorant comments to yourself.im on this site for advice and support and thats all ive been getting so i do not need your negative  comments. Aj but should i just be tested again in October? and do you think that im really ok and should really relax..i really feel i should but i do not know? even with the negative test results im still here helping others.because i know how it is to be nervous and scared about an std.
I think you are fine.

But I've said that already, and you don't seem to be able to relax about it lol.

Aj
lol aj i was also wondering if you do this job as volenteer or your a worker of some sort for this internet site.,im not interested in any type of pay lol but i am interested in helping out people on this site like you are doing and i try to do.lol i was going to message you out out curiosity but i was not sure if you would reply lol
I do this on my own time.  Anyone can help in any forum.  :)

Aj
HSV-1 is not an STD.

I looked up prevalence on wikipedia...it's 68% of the general population as a whole...

That's almost 70%. If you take the children and young adults out of the sample....it's pretty much everyone.

So if you want to go around telling people you have Herpes when all you really have is cold sores....feel free.

Now if you have HSV-2, you might want to tell your partner before you have sex with them, but HSV-1 isn't even worth mentioning.
That's 68% in the U.S.A. I forgot to say. Some countries were at 99%.
Actually radian you are wrong ( or at least the article you read is ). the last NHANES study in the US showed that 56% of all adults have hsv1 ( I think it was 63% or something with NHANES 3 ).  when you break it down by age that stat is applicable to folks who are in their late 30's and 40's. If you are younger than that it's less, if you are older than that it's more.

we also encourage folks to discuss their hsv1 status if they are aware of it.  Since hsv1 is the overall cause of 30% of all newly acquired genital herpes infections it is worth knowing and talking about with a partner. One study in college age kids showed that 78% of all herpes infections were due to hsv1. we believe that it is important to know about and to talk about. yes indeed hsv1 orally is not considered a std but it can be transmitted to the genital area so it's worth knowing your status for.  also it's just the "nice" thing to do - if you are aware that you have it, talk about it with your partner.

also radian, yes indeed some of us here do vaguely understand what you are talking about ( though sometimes I'm not sure you really do to be honest ) but most folk's eyes will glaze over when you start getting into the more technical points about how herpes establishes latent infection in the body. Perhaps keep those type of discussions to your own threads so you don't confuse folks?

grace
Aj ive read someone saying a couple days after his encounter he got a white blood cell count test.to check if was beginning to fight any time of infection.I also got this test 5 days after my encounter and everything was normal.then 2 months later tested negative for hsv-1 and 2.does the white blood cell count mean anything. i know of course it wont tell you if you have herpes.but was it being normal a good sign? then me testing negative 2 months later a better sign?
Its not going to be definitive of anything, but I'd say its at least a decent indicator.

And Radian - cold sores ARE herpes.  To say "So if you want to go around telling people you have Herpes when all you really have is cold sores....feel free", is really misleading, if not just wrong.  If you want to debate this point further, it belongs in the herpes forum - not in John's thread.

Aj

yea i understand..its just that the wait from now to october is crazy..i feel like im ok but idk..i just thought you answering the question wouldve helped me out some more.
Radian -

Last warning.  We don't call people dumb, and this isn't your thread.  Watch the tone.

Aj
Please read the terms of service.  

Aj
aj i am confused..i made a call to my doctor and told him my situation.and i told him all my test was negative.and he asured me that by now herpes would of showed up but on the internet i hear so much different.need a lil advice thanks aj
The answer is that yes most folks will seroconvert by the 2 month mark but not all.  Since you only had a hsv2 igg done ( correct? ) and you don't know your hsv1 status from what I understand we can't accurately say if you are one of ones who will take the extra time or not. I say err on the side of caution and wait and get your final test at the 4 month mark just so you won't be worried from here on out.

As for why we say different things here than many providers you see say - it's because we are actually incredibly well read on herpes and more up to date on it as well as the intricacies of the blood tests than they are.  We only do std's here - most providers are doing zillion other things too and trying to stay current on it all so it's a tad harder for them to have the knowledge base that many of us here have.  

grace
I had the hsv-2 rapid test done..which came back negative..and the hsv-1 blood test that also came back negative..i even asked how accurate the test was and they said very accurate..at my visit they also was telling me how both test looks for antibodies of herpes
You need to relax, hon.  There isn't a thing you can do now, and worrying is making you crazy.

Aj
I know it can be so fustrating all these different answers..the interenet..ugh
Put the mouse down, and step away from the computer.  :)  Go out and do something FUN!

Aj
I had a chance to read this thread and I wanted to give some input. From the testing you had and from your description of your bumps, I would conclude you do not have Herpes. The Herpes select test is very reliable at the 2 month testing time frame in ruling out Herpes.  In animal models,  IGG titers of anti-Herpes virus ( beit type 1 or two) are detectable at 2 to 4 weeks and peak at 2 months and thereafter can be detected often for the lifetime of the animal. These data can be applied to humans. You tested at a time within the time frame. Your tests are accurate and reliable. Take care.
thank you for the advice really.i just want to know how accurate is your info. not to be offensive at all i just dont want to be misled.im pretty confident i dont for some reason but idk .thank you again for your comment.
any other input?thank you again for the comment.
Quick question.when infected with any type of infection such as an std.how soon will the white blood cell count go up as a sign of fighting infection.
It might not go up, if you are talking about a blood test.

If it does, it would be fairly quickly - within a few days, I would imagine.

Aj
I been noticing some small white head like pimples on my butt here and there..they dont itch or anything i just noticed them whenever my hand comes across it.the other day i scratched the white head off and i only felt like a pimple basically and it hurt very little.like a popped pimple in a way.is this sounding like herpes in any way?
Nope.

Aj
radian, you're not entirely right that nerve cells don't express MHC Class I molecules, motoneurons, in fact do.
Radian and SC -

If you want to continue this conversation, please take it to a private message.  It really has nothing to do with John's thread.

Aj
lol thank you aunt jessie for the answer back.my last question is when should i set up my last appointment for testing so i can put this all away for good..reminding you..the sexual act was June 5 2008
You should test again in Oct.

Aj
Aj my official last question lol is 2 days after the sex i noticed razor like bump and told you i popped them and etc.my question is can herpes when popped cause an inditation in the skin after like i had.that became slighty invisible during erection?
No, it wouldn't.  

Aj
Aj lets say i was exposed to herpes..can i spread it to someone else from them masturbating me? with no visible sores? or not having a outbreak for example?
Aj also about a month ago i noticed a very small blister thing on my finger tip.it didnt burst open or looked fluid filled and went away in a couple of days..i remember having one bigger along time ago on the back of my foot that was kind of fluid filled..i dont know though.that maybe had to do with the heat on my foot from wearing shoes.
I Dont mean to bump.But today i found out the kind of test that was used for my herpes 1.it was the herpes select igg test.and for hsv-2 it was the biokit. i was tested at 2 months and 1 day exact. both came back negative.due to the type of testing and time period would it make it more likely if i had herpes it would of showed up already.also whoever decideds to answer can you also address the 1 question right above this post? please and thank you.responds will be GREATLY appreciated.
Does anyone know at  2 months.if someone was infected with hsv1 or 2 they wouldve had atleast a low positive result especially due to the testing done. Herpe select igg and hsv2 biokit
there is nothing else we could possibly add right now as far as testing for you.  We told you that negative by now is a good sign but if you are really concerned you need to wait and repeat testing at the 4 month mark.  when you get your 4 month test results we can help you with them if you need it. Meanwhile if you are having new symptoms you need to follow up on them with your provider - we can not diagnose you here.

I know it's very hard waiting for the appropriate follow up time but there really isn't anything else we can do.

grace
yeah i understand i really feel like i need to calm down.i am.but then become anxious for answers at times.my last question.the "symptoms" i described.do they sound like herpes? my last question.thank you and please just answer this last one. thank you so much grace for the respond
You've been posting for 29 days now. I'm sure you are also reading all the other posts too. You know I'd only be guessing as to what is going on. continued follow up with your provider is the best you can do for your symptoms.  I think you are paying a heck of a lot of attention to your genital area this month.  

grace
The testing you had is very reliable and, in my opinion is the best. From your information and the symptoms you desribe, I can tell you with greater than 95 % certainty that you do not have Herpes. Take care.
thank you for the support guys.really
I have a question out of curiosity.not because im obsessed for answers lol.but i was wondering.I took a Herpe select igg test for hsv-1 and a biokit hsv-2 test at exactly  2 months and a day after sex.I understand most ppl test postive before then and some can take longer.but i also read that certain test pick up antibodies before others.and the 2 test i took are those test.IF I READ CORRECTLY..so i was wondering if i was to have herpes 1 or 2..would i have had ATLEAST a low postive..i asked this question but it wasnt addressed.anyone please take the time to answer this question quickly.im patiently waiting to be tested again but just would like to know.thank you.
Not necessarily.  Sometimes it seems as if people can find a rise in the numbers if they test more than once, but others don't - it seems as if they just appear.

Really - I know its hard to wait, but this is starting to border on obsession, hon.  I know you asked this before, and it wasn't addressed (at least, I am taking your word on it because I'm not going to go through and re-read all 63 posts lol), but its time to stop and do something FUN.  Go about your normal life.

Aj

i understand i am going out etc.i did start continue on with my normal life lol its just something i think about during the day.at the back of my head.im not as scared as i was and been feeling condifdent i hope my gut feeling right.and im going to take your word and the word of Dallasfans and others that i should relax and that i dont have much to worry about. thank you aj again though ill try not to continue posting in my own thread. and continue to help others out until testing comes.take care.thanks alot
AJ LAST QUESTION SERIOUSLY lol..i was just reading threw the herpes handbook and it was talking about being tested to soon etc..but the thing is..i realized theres also a numeric number when negative..i didnt know...is there a reason my provider didnt tell me the number besides just telling me yes your negative..all i can remember is when she told me i was negative for hsv-2 in the office she said it dosnet mean you dont have it.it means you just dont have them yet.sorry aj its not that im obsessed at all because i stay away from the computer most of the day out.but new questions pop in my head
Not all labs report back with a numeric value. Some only report back with a + or a -. I also believe the biokit only reports back as + or - too.  Also the actual numeric value has no significance when it's negative anyways.  

And dahlin trust me - this is an obsession. The best possible thing you could do for yourself right now is to turn off the computer and not look or read another single thing about herpes for the next month.  Trust me - wean yourself off and you'll be glad you did.

grace
Another quick question lol.is a herpe blister skin color ? would it be brown for a african american male
Dude.

Is this you not obsessing?

I can't tell you what it would look like on an African American male. Mine are reddish looking, with a clear cover, for lack of a better word, but I'm a white female.

Aj

Im trying to give this a break.but since im on the computer often i tend to get sidetracked with thoughts. I was just wondering. I had a very small blister like thing on my finger tip that seemed to had just disappeared in a couple of days? does that sound like herpes.also can herpes be spread through masturbationg.if a girl masturbates me or the other way around.thank you.School is starting it will help take my mind of things.
Nope, and nope.  :)

Herpetic whitlow - herpes on the finger - is very painful and is usually around a fingernail.  

Aj
thank you aj for the reply.school starts and its going to make it harder to make a visit to the clinic because they not open on weekends. so im forced to tell my guardian so i can be taken out of school and do the testing.hopefully all goes well..wish me luck everyone..if it does and im taking by my guardian the good thing is i save $40 lol.wish me luck please.
How old are you?

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Aj
man I just read every exchange that was incredible.  You are fine 2 months test with IGG is almost definitive really.  I do not know what your risk was but test anytime now and you will get same result you are truly fine. You definitely have obssessive compulsive tendencies,  if you cannot get passed this please seek out a counselor to help you with your fears of STD.  I say this out of compassion not criticsim.  Go back and read your entire post and see how many times you said "last question".  AJ, you are a true gift from above to compassionately answer every time. I appreciate you. ......Mr. Johnson you are fine no worries go to school get good grades wear a condom for anal and vaginal sex and don;t do drugs!
Im 16 i never wanted to say "im only 16" because at the time i was well awear of what i was doing.not until after i came to my senses.but thank you i will keep you posted.thanks for the comments.As for Wonder. i also appreciate the comment.Its not until i look back at my post and realized i was really obsessed with answers.i mean you cant blaim me..not alot of people think of  the risk until its over and done with.i learned my lesson.Safe sex can actually save  you money.from all the trips i made on the bus for clinics and the $40 for my last test.Also the $70 for my first doctors visit.i couldve saved about $120 the least.its crazy.im really beginning to relax and looking foward to a good school year.
Just wondering of ways i can bring this up to my guardians. thank you . im really not sure how to ask.one of them did take me to planned parent hood months ago a little after the first encounter but wasnt to happy about it.
Do you have to tell them?  Do you drive?  Can you take yourself there?

And I'm sure PP has hours after school so you can get an appt then, and not miss school.

But if I'm not mistaken, you don't have to test for another 2 months - why the worry now?

Aj
im not going to planned parenthood because they dont do the blood test..and the problem is that the std clinic i last went to that did the blood test are opens mondays-weds.i know how to get there by bus.just one bus.but the other problem is that i am in school.and now its only 1 month left after this because im testing in oct.
Oh true - I forgot it was Sept already.

What are the clinic's hours?  Do they have any late afternoon or evening hours?

Aj
im really not sure but thats what im about to find out today
any was  i can bring this up to my guardians? i really dont have the $40 either
How about the truth?

Aj
Does this sound good.....
You guys remember the situation before..with the whole sex and getting tested..well i did alot by myself just for testing..and so far everything is ok..and this last testing im telling you about will basically finally end all this and you wont hear from it again..i know the place where i need to get my test done..i have the recipt to prove it and paper work and just want to know if you can please help work out an appoitment to finish this testing and put it in the pass forgood.Im sorry.i know what i did wasnt worth it and i think about it everyday but this is one of the last things i ask from you guys please understand..

did it sound ok ? lol im kind of nervous bringing it to there attention
Yes, it sounds good - but you sound like you are begging.  How about "Its time for the follow up for the last test from the thing before.  Can you take me?"

Aj
yeah im going to go with that..ill let you know how it goes..wish me luck!
In the beginning of october when i was suppose to retest i found out im going to be having family over from FL.basically i wanted to know if making an appointment and testing mid september in the Teens or early 20s.can the results be conclusive.note that the 5th of this month made 3 months since possible exposure.ALSO.one question.is there ANY std that causes muscle twitchs in the body.i expeirence them at random moments for a short period of time.thank you
Nope, no std would case that.  Everyone gets those occasionally.  

Sure you can test a little early.  A couple of weeks won't make any difference at all.

Aj
ok thanks..tomorrow im going to try and make this appointment and let you know how it goes...wish me luck..:)
Is sept 16 good? i can possibly rescedule if more time is needed
Yes, its fine.

Remind me again - what is your risk?  Oral sex?  Sex?  Protected?  Unprotected?

Aj
unprotected sex
Oh ok.

Well I'd be surprised if you have herpes.  Really very surprised.  Your chances of herpes from a one time encounter are slim.

Aj
wish me luck.i will let u know how it goes
Good luck, but you'll be fine.

Aj
this may sound like a dumb question but is there any std that causes you to sweat less..i use to sweat alot..and now i dont do..im happy about it..i still sweat the normal amount..but no more stains on my shirts lol.but is there any std that causes that?
Nope.
im just curious about this muscle twitch thing..it happens occasionally in different parts of my body for a couple of seconds..i read on google people saying after they was infected they was experiencing that..but then you say its not from herpes..im just a lil nervous now with my appt. tomorrow..wish me luck..and are u confident herpes wouldnt cause what i am experiencing? thank you
Yes, I am confident about herpes not being your cause.  Herpes infects nerve groups, and genital herpes infects the sacral ganglia.  You wouldn't be getting all over twitches from genital herpes.  I promise.

Good luck tomorrow - you'll be fine.

Aj
Good news..my HIV and herpes 2 both came back negative..im now waiting for my herpes 1 test to come back.thank you aj ill keep you posted
congrats!
thanks aj..can i be confident that my herpes 1 also will be negative.i really hope so.ill keep u guys posted
*sigh*  lol - yes i would say so.  (I've already said so lol)

Aj
i was wondering . ive been having alot of Stigma . im really not sure of the name.. its rarely seen just by looking at my penis but when i rub it its like white stuf..its kinda of hard to explain..should i be concerened
Smegma - and smegma is under foreskin.  If you are circumsized, you don't have foreskin.  Perhaps you have a mild fungal infection.

Aj
i am,uncircumzied.
if it is mild fungal infection how is it treated and is it sexually transmitted.
Smegma is completely normal and yes sometimes you will produce more than at other times.  constantly looking at your manly bits to try to figure out if something is going on or not can cause the body to start producing more natural lubricant and such . Unless it's causing you a rash and constant itching, it's probably not fungal.  

If you think this is more than just normal smegma you need to see your provider. You have exhausted the possibilities of an online forum at this point john.  

grace
I agree with Grace.

And have you gotten your hsv1 results back?  

This thread is getting too long, and is getting hard to load for some people (myself included).  Maybe we can end this thread with your negative hsv1 results?

AJ
yeah i agree honestly i was noticing it was getting longer and it takes long for me to load to but i would end it when i get my results back..hopefully negative..even though you think im a lil crazy for all this lol i want to thank you.for answering all my post nonstop.ill keep you guys posted.
and  i forgot to mention that it didnt cause any rash or constant itching.well occasional itches ..nothing more then normal i would think..sometimes with a smell..i dont know if its anything serious but like i said its something im going to cover up with my provider
my hsv1 results came bac negative so thats good but i want to know can i stop worrying about it although i THOUGHT i had symptoms.and also im in the clear of other stds. my doc said yeah because they checked urine for inflammation and i had no sign of it.and that is a sign of some sort for trich hpv etc. but im really not sure.this thread going to be closed after the last questions are answered.thank you for all the time you spared to help me i gratelly appreciate it
YES you can stop worrying.  You really can.

If I thought you had reason to worry, I would be honest and tell you.  I think you are really fine.  :)

AJ
i just want to thank you guys one more time for support and answers you guys gave me.
You're welcome.  :)

If you need to post more questions, start a new thread, ok?  This one is getting hard to load.

And use those condoms.

Aj