STDs Community
herpes in semen?

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

herpes in semen?

Is the herpes virus present in semen? In other words, could I spread it to other areas by masturbating?
Avatar n tn
also, I don't know if it makes a difference but my only outbreaks have been in my pubic hair and near the base of my penis. I've never had any outbreak near the tip or in the urethra. I thought I read a doctor post on this site that it can't be spread through semen and it's actually difficult to spread it yourself. However now my mind is running and I'm afraid that by masturbating and getting semen on my penis I may have spread it.
No it does not spread that way. Have you ever been tested for herpes?
Also post in the herpes form they will have more info for you.
When you have genital herpes, you have it in your entire genital area.

This means that you can't spread it from your pubic area to your penis - its already there.  Herpes infects nerve groups, and genital herpes infects the sacral ganglia.  This means that you can get outbreaks anywhere in the boxer short area.  You probably won't, if you've only ever gotten them in your pubic hair area, but its possible.

This also means that you are shedding from the penis, anal area, and from all the "pink" skin - all the mucous membranes.  So, even if you aren't getting outbreaks on your penis, you could transmit it from your penis.

I think you should absolutely check out the herpes forum, but I just wanted to explain this for you, and for everyone else who reads this thread.

Aj
Avatar n tn
wow that's pretty depressing. I was always under the impression that outbreaks occur in the same area. This has pretty much been the case for me so far and I kinda considered myself lucky that it was in my pubic area. I guess it's just one more thing to stress about
Did you read what I said?  I said it was possible to get outbreaks in other areas, but you might always get them in the same place.  What's to stress out about there?

You really need to post in the herpes forum.  Herpes is not nearly as bad as you think, I promise.  I've had it for almost 4 years.

Aj