STDs Community
horrible smell from vagina

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

horrible smell from vagina

after recently finishing my period i noticed a very horrible and strong smell coming from my vagina, i have scrubed in the bath but it comes back strait away, my boyfriend can also smell it which has caused him to think i am having unprotected sex with other men, which i am not. i have no discharge from my vagina, i have been having unprotected sex with my boyfreind for over 7 months but no other men ever! has he given me anything as i wash regulary and have never had this before. please help as this is causing problems in my relationship. thankyou
You sound like you have BV, bacterial vaginosis. You'll have to go to a clinic or a doctor to get a prescription of antibiotics. You should get it treated ASAP as it becomes notoriously difficult to get rid of with some women.
i have a horrible smell that i only notice right after sex and when i go to the bathroom... its a fish-like smell.. ive been with my boyfriend now for 3months..and noticed it about 2 weeks ago.. like ive said ive never smelled like that before.. i dont know what it is? please help
Avatar n tn
DiDi's advice to this poster is correct to apply to you as well - it sounds like you have BV; and it's not considered an STD, in fact it is a build up of bacteria kind of like a YI. Your symptoms are classic for BV, the fish scent right after sex and when you urinate - you might even smell the scent when you shower as well.
You need to contact your doctor and get in to be examined and medicated.
Is there something guys can do to not be spread bacteria? It seems this problem creeps up after women start having sex, so I wonder if the bacteria are introduced during intercourse... my girlfriend has never had this problem (only dated just her so far, and if things go well I don't ever want to be with anyone else!). Many years ago, way before dating, I read a study which found men with poor hygiene "down there" have a higher chance of penile cancer (due to the buildup of toxins). Since then I have always washed very well.

One wonders about these guys who only change their underwear every few days and probably don't ever wash very well down there. That could be a breeding ground for bacteria. If I were a girl, I'd tell my boyfriend to make sure he's washing well if he wants to get any action. You wouldn't put a unwashed dirty sex toy in there, nor should your boyfriend be unwashed (and no, just standing under a shower and putting some soap in the general area does not count as washing). Still, I don't know if this makes any difference for the bacteria problem, maybe someone can confirm this theory... but it seems like good advice either way!!