STDs Community
how long can one hv undetected gonorrhea?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

My GirlFriend of 6-7 mths became prego and at her first check up, she found out she had Gonorrhea. Soon after she did mis-carry. She claims that she was married prior to our relationship and that would hv been her last UNprotected encounter. She also claims to have had 2 sexual partners after that, but always protected. In any event I felt horrible and thought perhaps I had given her an STD so I got tested immediately but came back NEGATIVE. Two weeks prior to STD testing, I DID have Strep Throat and took Penicillin for it. I asked my treating Doctor if I could have had it and passed it to her but was just not showing positive because of the recent Pennicillin (penicillin) taken from my Strep? The Dr. told me that was very unlikely because Pennicillin (penicillin) would not have killed the bacteria that causes Gonorrhea. My GFriend said that b4 our relationship, her last sexual encounter had been one year before me. I am a person that had occasional unprotected sex but I also got tested frequently. This is the case of who gave it to who. After reading this, what is more likely?
My additional question are: how long can one hv Gonorrhea undetected and Does Pennicillin (penicillin) kill Gonorrhea?  
Gonorrhea shows up in days after the exposure. Its a bacteria infection which it will clear up in two weeks or sooner.
Also if you dont treat it will clear up after time on its own
...but it may take very long time to clear up in some people, particularly women. It can persist for years in rare cases. Ask Dr. Handsfield in the doctor´s forum, he is the leading global expert on asymptomatic gonorrhea.
It is more likely that you would have given it to her based on the time line. Does pennicillin (penicillin) kill gonorrhea...it is not the recommend medication but could. Also in men often gonorrhea can clear on it's own.
gonorrhea never clears up on its own.  infection persists and it can cause long term issues.

pregnancy can cause false positives on gonorrhea testing. we recommend erring on the side of caution and treating regardless for it. your testing was negative - no way to know if your gf had a false positive at this point or if she had it prior to meeting you and never knew it.

grace