STDs Expert Forum
hpv/genital warts in mouth

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

hpv/genital warts in mouth

i was diagnosed about a year and a half ago with genital warts. since then ive had no symptoms down there at all, thought i was clear. however, this week i have noticed a bump in my mouth, on the inside of my gum- i know (from researching on here) theyre rare in the mouth but it really, REALLY looks like a wart. i have no immune-affecting illnesses, but i did have a tonsilectomy a month ago which made me very run-down (as i couldnt eat properly etc). i've just started seeing a guy, im terrified im going to pass something onto him by kissing (we have already kissed a lot) or giving oral. im also scared this erases all of my year and a half of being symptom free, was hoping to be non-contagious by now :( i havent managed to get a docs appointment yet as all the clinics are so busy. i havent had the "i have GW talk" with him yet as its too soon. hes going to think its weird if i stop kissing him though :S begging for advice here, im so upset. can i give him GW's by kissing? oral? does this mean im contagious again from everywhere now, genitals and mouth?
Welcome to the Forum.  I suspect you are over reacting, whether this is a wart or not and the likelihood that is a wart is quite small,  Oral warts do occur but only rarely so.  In the other hand, there are an enormous number of other potential non-HPV reason for the bump- a cyst, a taste bud, a follicle, etc.  For you to assume that you have a wart is not appropriate.  I would suggest you see and ear, nose and throat specialist or oral surgeon.  To get to the bottom of this, unless the specialist can make a visual diagnosis, you may need a biopsy.  To assume that what you have noticed however is a mistake.

Your problem is that there will be few persons who are expert in ruling out a possible wart.  

I hope this suggestion is helpful.  EWH
I am hoping to get it checked out ASAP but the nearest time I can do this is next week. Please could you address the last few sentences of my post as if the bump is a wart, so I can be as careful as I need 2 b before a doc can rule it out? Would rather b over-cautious rather than risk infecting him. Am I able 2 pass it on by kissing him or giving him oral? Am I contagious again? Thanks.
Your last questions are "what if" questions.  While IF this is HPV, your partner has already been exposed and as we've indicated innumerable times on this Forum, the presence of HPV is rarely, if ever a reason for concern or abstinence (use the search function to see past discussions).  Transmission is theoretically possible however.

Please let us know what your doctor says. EWH
thank you, i will let you know.

just want to take this opportunity to say- what you and dr. handsfield do on here is so good. i was distraught for so long about getting this, the social stigma is so horrible, it often feels like you will be alone for the rest of your life. most of the internet only seems to focus on telling you how to avoid getting hpv (not helpful). here is the ONLY place i have seen a positive and reassuring reaction to people with hpv and GW. seeing yourself and dr handsfield telling people that they wont be contagious forever, and especially that a partner shouldnt be concerned even if they do catch it, was a massive revelation for me. just keeping my fingers crossed now that the guy im dating reacts in a similarly positive way when it comes to telling him- would never have even imagined that with someone before i came here and read past discussions. thank you both so much.

(mushy post over ;) )
Thanks for your kind words.  I know I speak for both of us when I say thank you.  Take care.  EWH