STDs Expert Forum
hpv transmission

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

hpv transmission

Dear Dr,

Thanks for the great job you are doing here.

I already posted a question last month, so I understand this will be my last for the next five months.

I would like some clarification with regards to hpv/STIs transmission, I have browsed through the forum but I have not quite found a similar scenario.

I visited a csw and massaged her buttocks (also near anal area) and breasts for quite a long time using baby oil, then, without washing my hands, I masturbated myself. While doing so, she was masturbating herself and occasionally touched my penis. At some stage I also used a dildo on her, but there was no other sexual contact.
Would be likely to catch hpv (or any other STIs) on my hand by rubbing her or touching the sex toy and then pass it on to my penis during masturbation (or from the lady's hand touching my genitals)?

All the posts I have read on this forum on hpv involved receiving hand jobs or direct rubbing of the penis, so I am not quite sure about the transmission possibilities.

Many thanks for your expert advice!
Welcome to the Forum. I'll try to help.  The encounter you describe is, if anything, of lower risk for STIs, including HPV than direct masturbation.  As I read your question your concern seems to be for the possibility of genital to hand to genital transmission of HPV.  This is not a concern. With each intervening possible point of transfer (i.e. from genital to hand then hand to genital equaling two rather than one transfer opportunities) the risk for infection goes down about 100-fold. Thus your risk for infection is about 100-fold less than had there been direct contact.  Add this to the rarity/improbability of HPV transmission through masturbation and I would see no reason for concern.

Parenthetically, I would add that if you have read other posts on our site, you should also know that we really do not see concerns about HPV transmission as being worthy of concern anyway, given that virtually all sexually active persons will have HPV at some point anyway.

I hope that this comment is helpful. EWH
Thanks a lot Dr for your helpful comment.

Yes, basically my concern is the possibility of catching hpv on my hand while massaging the lady, and then using the same hand to masturbate myself (or being touched by the girl's hand).

Also the event should be risk free for any other STI, correct?

Thanks again!
Correct, no risk, either for gettng an HPV infection of your hand or for any other STI. EWH
Thanks Dr for your reply!
Good morning Dr,

Just one more clarification, please.

I have read that, in order for HPV infection to occur, massaging of the virus and friction is required.
In the episode I describe, there were massaging and friction (with the same hand I massaged the lady with I then masturbated myself) for quite a long time (around 30 minutes), I just would like to understand the reason why infection is not possible.
Is it because the virus cannot be carried by hands or because it dies quickly while exposed to the air?
But even if genital-hand-genital transmission is not possible (you mention a 100-fold risk reduction), what is the biological reason why I can't get HPV on my hand?
Thanks in advance for your reply, I guess my questions are just due to guilt or anxiety. I know HPV should not be a concern, but would still be better to avoid it.
Also I would feel very anxious if I had to be on the lookout for warts for the next year, and would definitely not want my regular partner to catch something for my silly behavior.

Thanks again Dr!
As you point out, you seem to be looking for way tpo reduce your own guilt of shame regarding the no risk exposure you describe.  That really is not the purpose of this Forum. this will be my final comment as this subject has been dealt with repeatedly in the past on this Forum.

Many factors contribute to the likelihood of transmission of any infection from person to person.  Scientists spend their entire careers trying to understand parts of these processes.    Among others, in the case of HPV, these factors include biological tendencies of the virus to prefer certain types of skin cells over others (the hands and fingers are highly resistant to infection), the fact that the virus is not easily transferred from place to place and with each transfer less and less is transmitted and the amount of virus present.  For all of these reasons the events you have described are, effectively, no risk.  

You need to move on.  This thread is over.  EWH
Thanks Dr for your reply, I appreciate it
You are welcome.  EWH
Hi Dr Hook,

Sorry if I "resurrect" this thread, I was just re-reading your replies (i.e.  "no risk, either for gettng an HPV infection of your hand....") and was not sure if I asked my question clearly.

My concern was not getting an HPV infection on my hand, but the possibility of carrying HPV from the lady to my penis using my hand as a carrier, given that I massaged the lady and immediately after I masturbated.

Is your risk free assessment still valid?

Thanks!
I understood the question.  STIs are not spread from person to person on the hands. No change in my assessment or advice.  EWH
Ok Dr, thanks again!!
Dear Dr Hook,

I think I should get some counselling due to some OCD, as apparently I cannot get over this, and I just cannot stop overthinking the issue.

I have been in a monogamous relationship for several years, and had no previous sexual experiences before that.

This year I have had two complete and condom protected sexual encounters (as written in my other thread) with csws, another encounter with a csw where I received condom protected oral sex and the episode described in this post. Other than those, I have been faithful to my regular partner and am determined to be for the future.

We are now due to marry soon and I am just loosing sleep over the thought I might pass HPV on to her which might maybe cause cervical cancer, I just can help thinking about it.

I just hope you can give me some reassurance, I know HPV is a "fact of life", but I just do not want to cause any harm to my wife to be, and really wished I had not done what I did.
I agree with you that you are overly concerned and if you cannot move forward on your own, then counseling would be a good idea.  You need to move on

this will end this thread.  there will be no further answers.

EWH