STDs Community
is 6 weeks enough for syphilis testing? and other questions.

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

6 weeks ago I had sex with a CSW. At the 3rd week because I got paranoid I took 2 grams of azithromycin in a single dose. At the 5th week I noticed a small, circular patch of skin peeling away but It's nothing like chancre pictures on the internet. It is completely flat, I can't feel the edges with my finger, no pus or any redness, it just looks like I peeled the dry skin while itching but It got me woried so 12 days later (at 6th week) I got tested for syphilis (VDRL and TPHA) which came back negative.

My question:

1. Could my antibiotic use may result in false negative?
2. Is it true that VDRL tests turn positive in 2 weeks after the chancre appears and conclusive results comes in 6-8 weeks. I got tested at the 6th week and also in the same time 12 days later after the chancre like thing appeared, so should I be worried?
3. Can chancre ulcers look like anything I described ? Google images seem to show the worst case possible.

Tags: syphilis
I forgot to mension I was protected all the time.
sounds like a fungal infection more than a std. have you been seen yet?

was this protected sex?

grace
yes it was protected
I just saw a dermatolog for this, he recommended 8th week testing. About the peeling he said altough the size is consistent with the chancre it's not the usual presentation if it is, so I have to get tested again for 2nd time. He said something about upper layer of skin is peeled and nothing more..
6 weeks is considered conclusive. Don't see a reason for testing again. But if you had a canker then your body would have antibodies and it seems rather late for a canker to show up.
I've done the 8th week VDRL testing and it came back negative (this time without TPHA). I'm still nervous about my antibiotic use in the 3rd week because I think it might killed the bacteria but not enough to kill them all. I'm thinking about getting the 12th week test.
do you still have your rash?

honestly I wouldn't bother with more syphilis testing .
yes but it's not a rash but more like upper layer of skin is peeled away. I'm dark skinned so it looks patchy. the scar was never open kind of wound, no indurated edges, just a very small peeling altough I made it big because I scratched it a lot to see what it was.
this doesn't really sound like a syphilis related rash. I'd go back and be seen again by a dermatologist.
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers