STDs Community
is it possible to get STDs from a used condom?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

So I was really drunk yesterday with a group of friends, and we were walking home. We found a used condom on the side of the road, and one of my friends dares me to put it on. When we get home, they goad me into doing it. One of them washed it out or something, and I put it on for about a minute. I remember doing it and now I feel like an idiot for it. More importantly, is it possible to get any STDs this way? When we found it, it looked like it had been there for a while, so I'm not sure.
Un-belie-able   (Your story that is -- quite assuming).  

Your risk is NO risk for most STDs. Furthermore, who ever used the condom is probably a smart guy who uses condoms.  

On another note, alcohol leads to lapse of judgments, this is true for you.   An example is putting your penis where it doesn't belong.  Though you weren't at risk for anything, in the future please makes wiser choices and know that putting an unprotected penis elsewhere could have more serious consequences.  

If I were you I wouldn't worry too much in the context of STDs from your story.

Why would anyone put on an used condom or a condom found on the side of the road? There is a bit of good news and bad news. The good news is that if a virus was present within the condom, it would be ineffective due to the exposure of outside elements. The bad news is we dont know the duration of how long the condom was there for.
any std's on the condom were likely to have died by the time you put it on.

bottom line - don't allow your friends to goad you into stupid things like this again.

grace
I know, I know. I feel extremely stupid about it at this point. My boyfriend keeps telling me not to get drunk, so I think I should listen to him more. Thanks for the reassurance, though; I've never had sex with anyone but my boyfriend and maintained myself STD-free. I wanted to make sure I didn't ruin that for us. Thanks!
Sorry, but just to be clear -- what exactly are the chances that I got anything? I know that some diseases can survive outside of the body for periods of time, but given that it was washed out and had been outside for some time (it was warm from the evening heat, I think), what are the chances that I got something? I'm kind of stressing over this, and I just want to make sure....
Viruses incubate in warm circulating environments such as in the bloodstreams of the individual infected. In this case, Viruses would not have a chance within the condom because the environment destroys the stability of the molecules with such tenacity, they are rendered ineffective. Sure, Viruses could stay out a while but still not likely in your case.
this was one of those " eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww gross " moments more than anything. honestly it's not worth any testing or any worry.  

grace