STDs Expert Forum
lots of tiny bumps

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

lots of tiny bumps
Ever since I can remember, I have had tons of tiny flesh colored bumps on the base of my penis and scrotum (I would say probably 100-200 total).  Little tiny pimples. A few have white heads, some are just flesh colored.  In some cases you have to stretch the skin to see them. I would guess this started around puberty (I'm 34 now) before I ever had a sexual encounter.  I had always assumed it was natural or just nothing to worry about as they never have itched, popped or anything to cause problems.  I've never spread them to anyone else.  In fact every hair has one of these at the base of the hair.  

I'm not terribly concerned with getting rid of them as they haven't caused me any problems.  My bigger interest is what to tell a concerned partner.  I'd like to be armed with knowledge of what they are and whether they can be spread.  If there is a simple treatment, I might also pursue that.

thank you
It sounds like you are describing normal hair follicles and physiologically prominent sebaceous glands.  Without getting too personal about it, your description sounds exactly like my scrotum looks.  I would also bet that your future sex partner(s) won't say anything because they won't see anything abnormal.  Anyway, to be sure, show it and discuss it with your health care provider the next time you have a routine health exam.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
It could be Fordyce
Hi there,
It sounds to me that you just described hair follicles. Funny how each one has a hair growing out of it, and that they showed up when you began puberty, dont you think? I think every male that has hair on their scrotum and base of penis has this. I do. You can see them much more pronounced when you stretch the skin. I think not to worry, but see a Dr. if you are concerned this is something more...