STDs Expert Forum
massage and oral / saliva exposure risk

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

massage and oral / saliva exposure risk

hi,
  6 weeks ago, I had an oil massage (we were both naked and the masseuse was sitting on my back and feet while massaging me) right after the massage she gave me protected oral sex with a condom. when performing oral sex on me the masseuse licked my exposed testicles and sucked them twice .
  2 days after exposure I had a tingling sensation in my groin area, I went to the doc and he made a swab test for my urethra. the swab came up yellow and the doc told me this is usually a sign of infection. he put me on doxycyline 200g for 10 days. The symptoms got better after 3 days, but i developed random muscle cramps.
  4 weeks after exposure I ejaculated for a first time after 4 weeks, while ejaculating i held my penis stopping *** from coming out for a while.. 2 days later I developed what seemed like a prostatis with a burining sensation behind my rectum,
   6 weeks after exposure i developed a burning throat and running nose, I also have a tingling feeling in my groin area.
my questions are :
1_ What stds could I have caught based on my exposure.
2_ Am I having a reoccuring bacterial infection ?
3_ Am I developing ARS symptoms?
4_ Which STD tests do you recommend based on my exposure?      
Welcome to the forum.

You had accurate replies on the HIV and STD community forums.  You had a sexual experiece that carried little or no risk for any STD, and your symptoms are not those of any known STDs.  Further, you had no evidence of STD after a professional evaluation, including negative tests for common STDs; and if you had been infected with any bacterial STD, the doxycycline treatment would have cleared it up.

Please read my reply in the following thread, which describes the biological reasons why exposures like yours carry no risk for STDs, including HIV:  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/1861534

To your specific questions:

1) You could not have acquired any STD.

2) You have no bacterial infection.

3) ARS does not cause symptoms like these.

4) I recommend no further STD testing at all.  Your symptoms are typical of genitally focused anxiety due to a sexual experience that you obviously regret.

Really, you should stop worrying.  You have no infection of any kind from the massage experience -- nothing that will ever harm you or any current or future sex partners.  If you have a regular partner, you should continue to have unprotected sex with her (or him), without worry of any harm to either of you.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you Dr  for you valuable time and feedback.
I would like to state that I did not get the test results yet.
  I did some additional research and it seems the chances the masseuse has stds including HIV are very high specially that she works also as a csw and offers unprotected oral...
   The question which is really bugging me is how I got bacterial infection in the urethra  even though i used a condom. If the opening of the urethra is not exposed and there are no visible lesions can the std sill make it to the body from the testicles  skin for example. And then comes the next question in my mind, if bacteria made it, why not other viruses as well...
I disagree that such a partner necessarily is at "very high" risk for HIV.  Oral sex carries litte or no risk for HIV:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/1922236

If you had an infection in your urethra, it was not from your massage parlor exposure.  It is impossible to become infected through an intact condom.
Thank you again for your help, i have tried to relax , i have also called the local aids help desk who comforted me that i had no risk, but certain symptoms are really persisting, i get muscle cramps and burning sensation in my groin area below my arm pits my back and neck, i assume if this was caused by flu it should be localized to my neck only, it seems like i am having a generalized problem.
You may indeed have "a generalized problem", but it isn't HIV.  If it has anything to do with the massage experience, it is an emotional reaction to it -- but you have no infection from that event.

This thread cannot help you any further.  I won't have any more comments or advice.
I had my test results back today, they were all negative. I hope this will help my symptoms calm down.
Thank you doctor for you valuable time and advice. This site was always a very good source of help and support when i was in difficult times.
  I would like to give an update on my status. Please believe me when i say i tried to relax move on and forget the exposure but my body would not follow, I still have  the random pain on my left arm and it seems that I have developed a swollen gland under my left arm pit. I did compare it to my right arm pit and it is  different. Also the glands in my groin get tingling from time to time. I have no other symptoms beside the feeling of swollen glands the muscle pains and a general feeling of malaise. Are those signs that the body is fighting a viral infection ? Are those symptoms of post or pre siroconversion  ? What viral infections cause such symptoms (hiv hepatitis, herpes, eisenbar  etc ...?
There are a number of viral infections and other (non-infectious) medical conditions that could casue some of your symptoms -- although on balance this sounds more psychogenic than anything else.  If you remain concerned, see a doctor.  For sure this problem is not due to HIV and has nothing to do with the massage.

That will end this thread.  I won't have any further comments or advice.