STDs Community
maxi pad rash or something else??

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

maxi pad rash or something else??

For my period this month I used a new kind of pad, it was a super absorbent huge always pad.  I have never used always before and am not used to the plasticky texture.  I developed some kind of rash on each side of the lower portion of my labia.  It is red, rather raw, and very dry skin but does not itch.  There are no visible bumps.  I stopped using those pads and switched to a more cottony pad and applied diaper rash cream last night. Not sure if the rash has improved yet or not, will check in the morning.  Does this happen to anyone else?? Is it possible that its from something other than the pad??
Tags: rash, pads, Skin, red
It could be from the pad, but it could also be some kind of infection - yeast, bacterial vaginitis, herpes, etc., and you call your doctor if its not improved in the morning.

Aj
Hi, thanks for your input.  I did consider the other possibilities but none seem to fit.  I talked to my mom about yeast infectino and she said if I had one I would know as the irritation and itching is nearly unbearable.  Herpes, well there are no bumps at all and no pain:S so I dont see how it could be.  and vaginitis I did not consider, but perhaps that could be the case. Anyways, it seems to be clearing up after the diaper cream and I havent been using underwear while sleeping to "air it out."  Its not totally gone, but it is less dry and less red.  If itis not completley gone in the next couple of days I will go to the doctor.
I've had that before actually.  It's probably "diaper rash" as funny as that sounds.
yeah thats what I was thinking.. and it definitely does sound funny but makes sense since pads in a sense a diaper.  But I have been applying diaper rash cream for 2 days and stopped using hte pads adn it is still dry and slightly red.  Im not sure how to get rid of hte dryness and if its just part of the healing process since it was so irritated before.
It is probably part of the healing process.  If this isn't gone in a couple of days, though, see your doctor.

Aj
Thanks for your opinions. It is healed now, just a bit of dryness now. I'm thinking if it was something else like yeast it would not have gone away with diaper rash cream! and herpes, well I mean I dont know, but didnt look anything like herpes to me:|
Its probably not herpes.  Just don't use those pads again.  ;)
I definitely threw them straight into the trash! Regarding herpes though, I was looking through the herpes forum and noticed you have quite a few comments.  I have been going through anxiety over just about every STD lately, and pretty much ruled most out. except herpes.  I have been doing a lot of research (which is probably both good and bad) and found that herpes can be totally asymptomatic, or very mild.  I had a one time unprotected encounter with a guy in umm september, it was very brief only about 1-2 minutes give or take before I stopped it.  Anyways, middle of december I had a red spot in between my inner and outer labia which stung upon touching it.  Didnt turn into a blister or an ulcer. Went to my doctor about it and she said it was not herpes, but looked more like an irritation. But then the same type of spot reccurred 2 weeks later except on both sides of my vagina not just one. I heard that it is usually unilateral..only on one side at one time and generally in the same spot. Once again disappeared within a couple days with no blister/ulcer/scab.  Is it possible to have herpes outbreaks like that? (specially a primary outbreak)
It usually is unilateral, and usually stays in one spot.  However, I've had outbreaks pretty much everywhere.  I do have one spot that is the usual one, but it can vary.

Ask your doctor for a type specific IgG herpes blood test to find out if you even have it.  If you do, there's no guarantee that this is what is causing your symptoms, but at least you can have a starting point or rule it out.

Aj
I heard the tests are very unreliable, and have a lot of false positives:| is that one accurate?
They are accurate, and can have false positives.  However, since you are so concerned, I'd recommend getting tested.  There are ways to figure out if it might be a false positive, and either Grace from the herpes forum or myself can help you figure that out if you need to.

Aj
Alright, thanks for the help. Overall though do my symptoms sound liek herpes ?? (with the lack of ulcers/blisters/scabs..and rapid healing within a couple days).  I have an appointment with my doctor the earliest I could get it was Feb. 4th so ill talk to her about it and get the testing done.
No, it doesn't.  Its healing pretty fast for herpes, and your other stuff coincided with the new pad.

Aj
alright, well that reassuring, but I know the only definitive way to get an answer is to be tested which I will do, and hope for negative results! Thanks so much
Hey, I went to my doctor yesterday. Had blood test done for HIV and siphilis but she said it wasnt worth it to do the herpes test because she couldnt do a type specific at her office and I would have to go to a special place and it is not covered by OHIP:( what she suggested is simply if I see any lesions at one point or another to come in and get a swab/PCR test done.  so I guess I will follow her advice.
Ahhh Canada, huh?  Its a pain to get type tested there, but if your doctor orders it, OHIP will cover it.

The best way to determine if you have herpes is a culture or PCR swab, so that's not bad advice.

Aj
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers