STDs Community
mentally challenged son with genital warts

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

I have a 41 yr old son who is mentally challenged and has never been sexually active. He has just been diagnosed with genital warts how is this possible? this is very upsetting we always asked him if any one ever touched him and he has said no.We are going to meet with the doctor but I would like to have an idea if this is possible.

This discussion is related to HSV and HPV testing.
you don't get genital warts through routine day to day contact.  

does he live with you or in a group home of some sort?

grace
Avatar n tn
He has been in a wonderful group home for the past 5 years we always ask him if anyone ever touched him in a bad way his answere is always no
At this point you need to really confirm this with the Dr and then you would have to go back to the home with some questions.
  This isn't something he got from non-sexual contact.  perhaps he's embarrassed to discuss being sexually active with you?    
Avatar n tn
unlikely but possible he has always been very open with us we are going to speak to his dr. the abuse may have happened a long time ago but the virus stayed dorment all this time we will get to the bottom of this thank you for your input