STDs Community
military testing for STD's

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

military testing for STD's

Doesn't the military routinely test for STD's before and after deployment overseas?  My fiancee of four years went into the military, was gone a year, came home for 2 weeks, broke up with me and left again.  His parting gift to me was an STD.  Thank God it was a cureable one.  I'm told I have to tell him he gave it to me.  I don't want to do this because he will then accuse ME of cheating on him to all of his people.  Apparently I was the only one being faithful and all those nights out drinking with the boys involved more than drinking. I have been told that the army routinely tests for STD's.  I figure he's already been tested before he went overseas, and has no intention of telling me, and will be tested again on his return home.  
I wasn't in the army, but in the air force they do take routine tests, sort of.  we had something called a PHA which is a yearly physical that did involve blood and urine samples, but if we wanted to skip the tests it was easy.  to tell you the truth no one ever really wants to get blood work done.  I really was only tested once when i was worried about an std.  As far as deployments go, they do check your blood and urine when you come home, especially from iraq, because they want to see if you caught any diseases over there.  malaria is a big one.  I would assume they also test the blood for std's.  hiv/herpes and such, but if they didnt i wouldnt be surprised.  the military really does just enough to keep you out of their hair.  they cant test for HPV though...only women can be tested for that.  before deployments though they don't really test you.  Maybe the army does, air force doesnt.  I suggest you tell him though, if he doesnt already know he's out giving whatever he has to some other poor girl.  if he blames you so what?  you're not with him anymore anyways.  at least I hope you aren't.  ok well i hope this answered your question.  
Yes, the army does test for STD's before and after deployments. If your ex was infected with an std tested for by the army he would know about it. Therefor he should have told you about it. You should ask him if he knows about it. He says no, you should check in to it.
Since it was chlamydia, one of if not the most common STD, I figure the army tests for it.  I can't ask him now, because he's in Iraq.  He's already been tested, I'm assuming, and will be tested again when he returns.  Nice of him to tell me.  Thankfully, I only carried it around for 2 months before my yearly exam and found out, and I hadn't been with anyone else to spread it.  Just doing some online research and found that chlamydia is found among soldiers in high numbers.
Why not send an anonymous letter?

AJ

I'm on the east coast.  He cheated on the west coast.  I don't think he was with anyone else here but me.  I could be WRONG of course.   Now that I know the army tests him twice, I don't have to tell him.  I can put those 4 years behind me.
Just fyi - the armed services does not routinely test for herpes.  It's not a part of their std testing that they offer for their employes :(  

grace
I just found out that I was infected with herpes by a dude in the Air Force.  I told him and he calmly asked if I was okay and said that he had to go and that he would call back.  He stated that we hadn't been having sex.  But yall we had been having oral sex.  Anyways he told me he would call back and hasn't.  I feel very strongly that he has it, anybody got an opinion ?  I'm drowning here.  I don't have anyone else human to tell.  
Start a thread dedicated just to your question and it will be answered, but also post in the herpes community for herpes related questions.
Before and after deployment testing would make sense to me, though it is probably frowned upon to have sexual relations while on deployment.  The issue of being on alert and all. But I'm not saying at all that it does not happen.  I work in a military clinic...I'll ask.  I do know for a fact that std testing in general is not routine.  HIV, yes but not chlamydia/gonorrhea, herpes, etc. Chlamydia is routine yearly for women but not men.
I asked a military lab technician.  NO!  The military only tests for HIV routinely.  All other std's are only tested for if there is a reason aka present symptoms.  I thought I was right on that.  I looked it up myself last year and found that only chlamydia is routinely tested for in women once a year at their annual pap.  And that only started less than 10 years ago.  HIV is tested for in every military member.  It is a must.
I just read that you work in a military clinic. Would you happen to know which type of test they use for Herpes Testing?

And would all bases use the same?

Thanks any help would be great!
No, I don't know. I work in the building but my job does not have anything to do with the medical field.  In future, please create your own thread. It is a forum rule not to ask your own questions under another poster's thread.  
So my hubby just got back from iraq and says he was tested once before he left once when he got home but everytime we have sex I get real itchy n raw and makes me think I have something but not been to a doc to check. When mentioned to him about it he says he saw med records for the way over but not the way back and since he "kept it in his pants" he assumes he is clean. What's the probability he got something while over there from say a toilet or something?
Sorry just read where its a forum rule. Disregard my previous post plz and sorry again.
Is that true for the navy as well? If so is that a before deployment or during duty or both
ofcourse a soldier is gonna tell you they get tested for hepres and ect.. before and after deployment,because most of us females outside the military or us wives who dont know much about the proceedures for deployments and returns we believe what our better half says!! i to was told they get tested for stds including herpes! Fact is that is not true!! Its only an HIV test and they also check cholesterol from the blood test!! So being told that they are tested for it is their way of saying well if u have something its because u cheated not me,and u both get treated and the blame goes all on you!! Guess what Soldiers cheat just as much if not more then anyone else!! i have heard stories from my husband who has seen it happen before his eyes!! Fyi just because he tells me that stuff doesnt make me feel any better because he could do it as well1 men will be men!! another fact is a person can have herpes for years even decades and not even know it!! Go figure!
you are correct. I am a military member. We get tested for HIV and if we go overseas then we get tested for diseases found over there..ie malaria, syphilis snd sgsin HIV. We only get tested for other std's if we request it or show symptoms of it. As for your problem, if you can, contact his command and let them know. Even if you don't know his exact unit, you can contact the base that he is on to find him. If he is AGR/Reserve/National Guard, you can contact his unit, once again if you know the location. Try to contact them on a drill weekend to make sure that things get taken care of. Be prepared to have a copy of your diagnosis ready of you plan on going through with it.
If they are not in Iraq and have been home for about a year, do the still have yearly bloodwork? If so, When do they have them?
Do you know if the marine corps checks for trichomonas? Or is that just for women?