STDs Expert Forum
mycoplasma or ureaplasma

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

mycoplasma or ureaplasma

Im a healthy fit 39 yr. old male.Three weeks ago I went began having trouble with erections have not gotten any during day.  I began to urinate frequently.  Went to hospital found microscopic blood in urine. Urine swab for std's , and urinalysis came back negative.  Went for more std testing all came back negative. ER doc said prostatitis. Followed up with urologists said prostate enlarged. All blood work and urine came back clean.  Read about prostatitis and said it could be caused by mycoplasma or ureaplasma ( which they say are STD'S).  Also, have been on doxycycline since november for Lyme Disease. I had unprotected anal sex with female. My questions are 1.could I have ureaplasma or mycoplasma infection in prostate.
2. Would doxy effect outcome of all previuos lab work
3. Would any future tests performed by urologist be altered due to doxy.
Welcome to the Forum.  I'll try to help.  Most men are colonized with both ureaplasma and mycoplasmas in the genitals (that is, it is normal to find these organisms in the genital tract)  and as a result it is not unusual to find them in the genital tract and their roles as STDs is a bit of controversy.  Further, what many doctors call prostatitis is now part of a larger, more complex and poorly understood problem called the Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome (CPPS) which in most cases does not appear to be due to infections.  You can read about CPPS on Wikipedia. The description is very good.

Mycoplasma and ureaplasmas have been cultured from the genitourinary tract and are suggested as causes of prostatitis.  One kind of mycoplasma, mycoplasma genitalium appears to be an STD but the other, far more common mycoplasma hominis and ureaplasma are not clearly STDs.

In answer to your specific questions:
1.  Difficult to say and cultures would be hard to interpret.  If your urologist says you have prostatitis, you probably do.

2.  Doxycycline might make cultures negative if you were taking it at the time you were tested.

3.  See above.  The only tests which would be potentially effected by doxy would be cultures, not other tests.  

Finally, just as an FYI, erectile dysfunction can be a consequence of prostatitis. It is almost never due to STDs however.

Hope these comments are helpful.  I would stick with your urologist on this.  Sometimes a bit of trial and error is needed to address prostatitis,  EWH