STDs Expert Forum
nervous

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

nervous

Had an encounter with a stripper in mexico which I am nervous about.  Completely lost control and ended up having protected sex with a condom.  No idea as to her background.  The condom appeared to work fine.  Main concern is a slight rub abrasion at upper part of my penis, not scabbed or bleading but kind of raw skin (self induced).  I used a paper towel to remove condom and cleaned up.  I'm unsure if outside of condom contacted at all.  This happened 5 days ago.  What testing, precautions or other do you recommend?  I do not want to put significant other in any risk whatsoever.
This was a minimum risk exposure.  You used a condom, condoms work.  I presume the abrasion you describe occurred at about the time you had sex. This being the case, it was not an STD.  In theory, the abrasion might have then been infected with an STD or HIV but, to be honest this just does not happen. If the abrasion has healed or is well on the way to being so, then you have nothing to worry about.

I also suspect that somewhere in the back of your mind you are wondering, but what if she had HIV, could i have gotten it this way.  Once again, in theory, yes but if you did, you would be the first.  Odds are, even as a commercial sex worker, she did not have HIV.  If she did, you odds of infection if you did not use protection are less than 1 in 1000.  Since you used protection, the odds are far lower.  Finally, regarding the possibility of contaminating your abrasion when you removed the condom, not to worry.  HIV does not survive well outside the body and this is not a described mode of transmission.

Do you need testing- no.  If you must a single HIV blood test at 6 weeks will confirm that you did not get HIV.

Hope this helps.  EWH
Thanks for your comments.  It has been 8 weeks and I have had not effects.  My partner is now very sick complaining of strep like symptoms, body aches and the like.  I'm now terrified.  The abrasion I had was from self pleasure and was more like a blister with the layer removed.  I'm losing my composure with worry.  Could I have possibly been infected and passed it along this quickly?  I'm replaying countless times how I removed condom and if I could have touched it to the abrasion area.  Any comments would be most appreciated.
Get over it. Your exposure is close to no risk. Have you been tested recently as suggested? if not, please do so.  that you could have HIV and have given it to our partner is not plausible.  EWH
Thanks, took your advice and went in for a test on Thursday.  Received the DNA by PCR and the HIV Antibody tests.  They recommended the DNA since I'm 9 weeks out.  I now have some kind of upper respritatory infection or cold.  Do I need to be concerned about this causing test issues?  False positives?  Still very nervous and greatly appreciate your advice.  I will conclude my questions on this script, thanks so much.