STDs Expert Forum
non sexual transmission

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

non sexual transmission

Can a 5 year old girl become infected by a non sexual transmission from her mother?  If so, how?

Also, I have read that the incubation period in females is between 5-28 days.  Is this everlonger?  Could the period be longer for a 5 year old girl?
The likelihood of STD/HIV transmission from a parent to a 5 year old child is just about zero, except of course if there is sexual abuse.  If you are concerned because you are the mother and worried about your child's health, you can relax; she won't get infected from you.

I could provide more information if I knew what STD is on your mind.  Herpes? HPV? HIV? Chlamydia? Gonorrhea? Syphilis?

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thank you for your comment.  The STD i had in mind is trichomonas.
I am unaware of any documentation of trichomonas in children.  However, some people believe vaginal infections, especially trichomoniasis and bacterial vaginosis, might be transmissible in rare cases among bed partners who aren't sex partners; and trich is one of those diseases where people worry about shared clothing, moist towels, etc.  Personally I doubt it, but since such opinions are out there, you should avoid sharing the same bed, towels, and underwear with your daughter. For practical purposes, there is no risk.  In any case, whatever tiny risk there is is gone as soon as you are succesfully treated.

Up to a quarter of women with trich also have other STDs.  I hope you were tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
I have been married for 7 years and was a virgin when I married as was my husband. Just  this week during intercourse with my husband I felt a slight discomfort on the right side of my vulva. It is a slight burning whenever I urinate and wipe. Other than these times I feel nothing. Last night I decided to see if I could feel something causing this discomfort- and I felt a bump on the right side if my vulva, just under the lip down torwards the opening of my vagina. When I passed my finger over it I felt the same burning ( like sores do ). The only thing I can think that this could be is herpes- because it is a lump and it is somewhat painful when in contact with other things!But, I am faithful to my husband and I know without a doubt in my mind that my husband is faithful to me...therefore how could I have herpes? Do you know of anything else this could be? I intend to see my gynecologist- but in the meantime...your imput would be nice.
Thank you
A related discussion, STD was started.