STDs Expert Forum
paranoid after massage parlor visit

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

paranoid after massage parlor visit

hello doc. i have gone thru and read thru many posts. yes Im a bit paranoid. ok. a few days ago i visited an asain massage parlor. i had protected vaginal sex with her. she put the condom on me as soon as my pants came off. she then gave me oral with the condom on and proceeded on with vaginal sex. at the end she took my condom off and gave me a handjob without the condom till completion. i was probably the last client was in the wee hours of the morning. feel so dirty who knows how many men she was with before me and what if anything she has. i know alot of u might say from this encounter there is zero risk i shouldnt even of posted but i am scared. this woman is a prostitute in all sense of the word she has sex for money. ill never ever do this again. i set up an appointment with my physician i want to get tested for everything. i dont want to give anything to my girfriend. what could i have been at risk for? obviously im scared of hiv. i keep thinking about it going thru it all, over and over again in my head like convincing myself that it was all safe and im ok, im driving myself nuts. thank u for taking the time out to answer my question.
If you have read through my other responses to similar questions, you already know my response--which has been duplicated by other comments below, before I responded.  You cannot have acquired any infection during that exposure; if your HIV or any other STD test were to be positive, I would be 100% convinced you didn't acquire it during the exposure you describe.  No STD ever is transmitted by hand-to-genital contact and condoms are highly protective.  You do not need STD testing, unless other sexual exposures also put you at risk.  However, if your anxiety will be relieved by having an HIV test, go ahead and do it. I believe you are exactly right:  you are driving yourself nuts.

What is it, by the way, with "Asian" massage parlors?  I'm not challenging you alone; but it seems that more than half the time someone asks a question about STD risk after visiting a massage parlor where sexual contact occurs, they specify "Asian".  Of course the sex workers' ethnicity has no relevance to the level of risk.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
forgot to mention that i am uncircumsised. and in August i had uprotected oral sex with (me going down on her she didnt give me oral), with an outcall massage girl. recieved massage and handjob. she told me she didnt have anything and stop worrying. i got a sore throat two days after and like an oral ulcer on my gumbs which healed pretty fast, felt like a bubble was there then an open sore and u guessed it i freaked out. the doc told me at the clinic he wasnt even concerned with my mouth. to not worry. got tested for everything afterwards like 3 weeks after all negative and the counselor told me i can get retested in 3 months but not to worry since it was "only oral". i swear to myself no more of putting myself thru this. thats the extent of my sexual experiences. thank u again doc for all your great work. driving myself nuts.
Can u be tested for genital warts?? and if so whats it calleD???

There's no risk of anything serious from a hand job. Your reaction is coming from guilt and sexual taboos, and you probably need help with forming sexually fulfilling relationships without turning to prostitutes; Dr. H may encourage you to seek counseling since it's not a biological issue.

Also, as Dr. H has often said, if you are a regular patron of massage parlors, Asian or WASP or Argentine or whatever they are, you might want to get an STD checkup once a year as a safety routine, instead of trying to get tested after each individual exposure. The risk of each of these events is so low, it would be fine to take care of all of them in one set of tests, and then go on with your regular life for the rest of the year.

J
Since it was protetced for vaginal then you have no worries.  small chnace of herpes or HPV because those are passed skin to skin.  But the condom offered great protection for those as well.  

You need to stop worry about std's and focus on a behavior in you life that you can't handle emotionally.  Trust me on this, I lived it.  And chnaces are if you just swear it off after this scare, at some point you will be back into it.  Counseling is a great place to start to help avoid future slips.
thank u everyone for the reassuring comments. i am going to go ahead and get tested anyway to aleviate my anxiety and worries. i didnt mean anything by saying "asian" massage parlor. just saying what it was. thanx doc thanx everyone. those were my only two sexual encounters nothing else ever in my life. i do have a girlfriend, we havent done anything, and im scared to have possibly gotten something and giving it to her later on. i am feeling guilty. and i do vow to myself never to put myself in these situations.
I think the doc is correct but what about other infections no considered to be a STD. Is it possible to get other things. HTLV ....there are so many diseases out there who knows what can be picked up from the people in that profession
i have calm myself down some but im going to go ahead with the tests for peace of mind. to summarize again the vaginal intercourse was protected, condom intact, the handjob was without a condom. my girlfriend is a virgin and it scares me to death to pass something on to her for me making such a dumbass mistake. i only had 2 sexual encounters that was my first time i had intercourse. im not disclosing my age. i just hope luck is on my side and i can just chalk this one up to another life experince. something i wont repeat. i do feel a ton of guilt wish i can take this one back. so doc i should be ok? right? still scaring myself. even if she touched her vagina then gave me a handjob. i wore a condom thru out all the intercourse.
My husband visited one of these places (2 years ago) and contracted HPV from a hand job (yes, I think he's telling the truth b/c at this point he has nothing to loose as we have separated long ago over it). I cannot find one scientific piece of evidence to support his claim which is why our marriage is ending; I was really hoping Dr H would have told you that you could get HPV from hand-to-genital contact. Good luck and hopefully you have escaped an STD this time.
I would think being couped up in a room with these girls might get you TB.  I believe it's much more prevelant outside U.S., so I think you can say that Asian girls might have a higher risk than U.S. citizens.
hello...I am paranoid now as well.  I had a recent encounter with an escort.  Before having protected intercourse, I stupidly inserted my finger into her vagina...dumb dumb I know.  The next day, I wake up completely paranoid realizing that my finger had a hangnail, and that there were little frays of skin around my nail, that I sometimes get, sort of like little stips of peeling skin.  I examined my finger and noticed no cuts, or blood coming out.  
However, should I be concerned about transmission coming from a hang nail? or the frays? I examined under the skin frays by my fingernail and noticed intact skin, but different skin then the frayed skin, like new skin, sensitive, like rugburned skin...is that an open wound??? feeling very paranoid now and would appreciate insight...Thanks.
This thread is too old for the doc to respond. But here is what I know. No one gets HPV from handjobs. I know in science nothing is 100 percent. Your husband probably did other things unprotected more than once. On the other hand, if either of you had a sexual past before marriage, it perhaps could have been brought in from that. Even if it seems he has no reason to lie, he may still be trying to save face.
Johnny - no one ever gets HIV from fingering. Even with hang nails.
A related discussion, Massage and Burning Tip of Penis was started.