STDs Expert Forum
pen size dot on penis shaft

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

pen size dot on penis shaft

Here it goes: Last night I noticed when I was using the restroom that there was a pin size dot on the shaft of my penis, on the top side about mid-way up from the base. I tend to worry about issues like these. I learned in the past about papules...which helped my anxiety. So, as I noticed the pin tip size spot or bump, I proceeded to do the wrong thing and exam it. I attempted to pinch it with my finger nails until something came out. A little bit of puss came out, barely any though. I went today to get a herpes test....I have had type 1 since I was a kid. I have delt with cold sores on my mouth once a year or so...no big deal. Now I am worried that this pin size dot/bump could be type two? I have been having unprotected sex with my girlfriend now for 6 months as well. She said she was clean when we first started. But i am not sure if she has just never had symptoms. I have had no symptoms at all other than it turning a little red from when I pinched it. Not in clusters, not painful to touch, not oozing, just one single pentip size bump that is scaring me. Acting much like a pimple. It looked at first as if it had a head to it....but it is so small it is hard to tell. It is not raised really at all when I stretch the skin. No symptoms at all. Any bit of releif until I get my results back would be appreciated. Thanks.
Pimples are pretty common on the penile shaft, and it sounds to me like that's what you have.  It is never possible to exclude herpes, since 25% of the population has it, with or without symptoms; but this doesn't sound like herpes.

I wouldn't do anything as long as the lesion heals and doesn't recur.  But if in doubt or if you need more reassurance, see an STD-experienced health care provider, such as you local health department clinic and consider a herpes blood test.  (See many other comments on this board about the proper kind of herpes blood test.)

Good luck--  HHH, MD
could it be from tanning in a bed and getting the area a little burned. could that cause this? Long shot, but just curious. thanks.
No.
Hi doctor,
This is just a follow up to my posts below, I dont know if you look down that far......

When you basically put to rest all my worries a few days ago, within a day, everything felt normal again, so I do attribute it to stress/anxiety.

However, yesterday I did notice a little something. I have a few of those papule-like things, which I've been told are normal. I had noticed a new one while I was worrying last week, and looking very close. Its near the end of my shaft, just a bit below where they other kind of skin starts before the head.  Yesterday, it seemed to have a little scab/dry skin on it. The scab is gone now, but the little white bump remains. I assume it was just a papule type thing, and maybe it got chaffed, as the day before, my GF did give me quite a bit of hand stimulation. Does this sound like something that should warrant any concern? (I know I have little reason to worry, but technically both of our HSV1 status' are unknown, its just that we've never exhibited a cold sore)

I'm not SUPER concerned with it, but I did notice it, and figured I'd ask, though I know a diagnosis over the internet is basically impossible.

Thanks!
I don't look much at new comments on old strings, and don't recall your former question or my response.

I'm not sure what kind of "papule" is normal; that term usually implies an abnormality.  And scabbing certainly raises the possibility of herpes--but your comments suggest you've already dealt with that and have a negative HerpeSelect HSV-2 test.  If not, you need to be tested, regardless of your HSV-1 history. In any case, you're right--I can't make a specific diagnosis.  If in doubt, consider a visit to your local health department's STD clinic.

HHH, MD
Dr,
My only exposure has been 1 instance of oral sex from my GF, who is a virgin, and has never had a cold sore in her life, to her recollection.  (Still possible to be carrying HSV1 of course.) So, no need for a herpes 2 test I guess.  Yo had said I shouldn't have any concerns of herpes in out sexual practices.

I believe it could be a clogged follicle or something.  I know this is gross, but I do seem to get an occasional random hair on my shaft here and there.  

Perhaps I should post on the dermatology forum as well.

However, if it persists, or comes back in the future, I will get checked.  Thanks for all your advice.
i have one little bump on my penis and i dont know what it is nothing is wrong with it no oozing and just a little paine can u help me?