STDs Expert Forum
penile dishcharge?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

penile dishcharge?

dear Dr,

i had a question about whether or not what i am experiencing is in fact a penile discharge. about 2 years ago i had unprotected sex with a girl (lady A) that i only afterward found out that she had numerous partners. i spoke with my doctor and got a general STD screening done within two weeks and another HIV test done at about 6 weeks. both tests came back negative for anything.

my question is this: after i ejaculate and after my penis starts to soften, a clear substance will leak from the tip of my penis, what is it? this only happens after i ejaculate too. it has never been a lot and it is always rather sticky and gooey. i always just thought it was leftover seminal fluid caught in the shaft of my erect penis but i never noticed it until after my encounter with lady A.

i read that penile discharges are usually a sign of some kind of infection and i have only recently become concerned with the fact that what i took as normal may be something more malicious. i do plan to go see a doctor to get tested again, this time probably only for HIV, but in the mean-time should this be something i should be overly concerned about? i would really appreciate your input. thanks!

-a very concerned person
Tags: penile
Secretions like you describe are normal following ejaculation.  Abnormal urethral discharge indicating STD is spontaneous, not associated with sexual arousal; may be nost noticeable in the morning, before urinating for the first time that day; often is associated with pain or discomfort when urinating; and typically causes staining of the underwear.

Anyway, even if you had acquired an STD 2 years ago, it would have cleared up on its own by now; gonorrhea, chlamydia, and nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) (virtually the only causes of urethral discharge in men) go away without treatment after a few weeks to months.  You don't describe your current sexual lifestyle or risks, but based on the facts you state, you don't need STD testing.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
i think you will find it's not actually a discharge as it only happens after ejaculation, you are probably correct in your assumption that it is semen. if it was a discharge you would have it at other times not just after sex, but the doc will advise you.
Forum-M.D.-HHH, so you're saying that STDs such as gohnerria or chlamydia will clear its self up after a certain period of time of having it? If so, please explain how?
well thank you doc, i appreciate your prompt response. thanks again!
I have the same discharge , I also have this in the mornings. Always clear and occurs after urinating. I'm not sure if it would happen if I were to hold my urine  after waking though I assume it might. I was diagnosed with prostatitis about a year and a half ago. The discharge I do have is usually slight (not a drip)clear and sticky (mucus like). I was wondering if this could be cause due to sex the night before(right before going to sleep) or erection through the night. I am married and assume that the stds mentioned that would clear up on there own would not do so if my wife were infected or would there be a period in which it would go away but comeback? Both of us tested negitive for std about a year and a half ago. Since she had a couple of yeast infections, the last time she thought she had one they look under a microscope and told her no , would this looking under a microscope have revealed another other suspects?
hboy:  The natural course of almost all bacterial infections (and many viral ones) is that the immune system does its magic and the ifnection clears up on its own, given enough time.  Before penicillin came along, 10% of people with pneumonia died, but all the others returned to normal health.  In the pre-antibiotic era, gonorrhea typically cleared up in 6-12 weeks in men, probably 3-6 months in women.  Chlamydia takes longer, but probably usually resolves within 6 months.

tadphillips:  Your discharge sounds physiologic (normal).  In general, a drop of clear mucus from time to time is not abnormal.  But if uncertain, see your health care provider when the discharge is present:  drink little fluid in the evening so you can tolerate not urinating first thing in the morning, and see your provider before voiding.  Microscopy of vaginal fluid can give STD clues, but no definite diagnosis.  But from your description, it doesn't sound like you or your wife have an STD problem.

HHH, MD
A related discussion, Clear penile secretion was started.
A related discussion, Chlamydia or wat is it???? was started.