STDs Expert Forum
persistent itch

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

persistent itch

For the past 3 weeks I have had an itch that won
The causes of itching are extremely varied.  But neither herpes nor HPV is likely; neither causes itching alone, and the location is atypical for either one.  Most likely not an STD of any kind.  The redness could be the result of scratching.  When there is an itch without obvious cause, the first thing is to do your best to avoid scratching it; the problem often then goes away.  You could try one of the over-the-counter anti-histamine creams, such as benadryl or claritin.  If the problem persists, see a health care provider.

Your HSV questions:  The virus isn't in the blood of infected persons, so yes, you can safely donate blood, and no, your blood cannot transmit HSV even through someone's open cut.  Having either HSV-1 or HSV-2 might provide partial protection against the other infection; the data are unclear.  But any protection is modest--i.e., only slightly reduced risk of transmission.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I also have an itch on the outside skin of my vagina. Mine seems to only get bad after sex. I doubt that the itch is an STD, like suggested. Yet, I relate, the itch worries me a bit too.
Well...I happened to go to the STD clinic today and they said it was Jock Itch! Wow, that never crossed my mind. Isn't that something football players get? : )

I'm surprised that with all the websites I searched for STD information, none of them said, "hey, it might just be jock itch."

ALSO...
doctor's offices wanted a couple hundred bucks to see me. Search online for an STD clinic in your area. It only cost $20 to see a doctor there, and they specialize in this kind of thing.

Whoever thought hearing you have Jock Itch would be the best news you ever got? When you thought you might have had a permanent STD, jock itch is wonderful. For those who aren't so "lucky", there are websites you can meet a "compatible" mate at. mpwh.com is for herpes and HPV.
I try to avoid getting specific about alternate non-STD diagnoses in this sort of setting; the possibilities are so broad.  I thought of jock itch, but your emphasis on itch and deemphasis on the rash ("slight redness") influenced my decision not to say it specifically; the reverse (prominent rash with minor itching) is the more common presentation.  In any case, the outcome was exactly what I always hope to achieve in this forum:  you saw a health care provider, got a proper diagnosis (and one that makes you happy, in view of the alternatives!), and the problem is (probably) on the way to resolution.

Thanks for your comments about public health department STD clinics.  Some people react negatively to the idea, concerned about whether a cheap place in fact is good, and about long waiting times, the fear of rubbing elbows with "that kind" of person, and--perhaps most of all--the stigma of STD and sex in general, which includes the fear of being seen.  Agreed, nobody wants to run into a former partner in the waiting room--but it happens.  On the other hand, in most towns the medical expertise on STDs (and other conditions that are confused with them) is by far the best available; they are free or inexpensive; usually patients are seen the same day on a walk-in basis; and in general people find that they are treated with respect and expertise.

Regards--  HHH, MD