STDs Expert Forum
persistent urethritis?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

persistent urethritis?

im 23yrs old.i had unprotected sex about 3 wks ago,it happened at night and next day in the morning i had the burning sensation in tip of penis. i took all stds and i was diagnosed w/urethritis(ngu).(everything else was negative) took doxycline for 7 days.symptoms went away for 2 or three days and the there was only burning AFTER urinating, + my left testicle was feeling sore but not hurting(there hasnt been any noticeable discharge). it got worse after i played sports for three consecutive days(soccer and volleyball). went back to the doctor and he checked my testicles and he said no inflammation or torsion,he said no sign of epididytis, so he gave me pyridium for three days and then fragyl for 7 days(if symptoms continue)also 600mg motrin for muscle pain.Motrin works fine for pain and pyridium worked a little bit on burning but not too much. Now fragyl made symptoms worse so i stop taking it after the 4th pill. i have a feeling that it is epidyditis but doct says its not. the last symptom i had was last thursday i masturbated(it was to be ok) and when i eyaculated i felt strong pressure in my bladder and in my testicles got really sensitive(not the skin but the tescticles)it took about 45 mints for symptoms to go away but the pain on the tip of penis persisted and it is still there(it looks like infection got back). ive gone trough all this for about 24 dasy after initial infection. ive had some slight lower back pain,it got better when took doxy but after masturbation got back. its frustating i havent had sex and i cant even masturbate cause im scared. ANY HELP????THANX!
I doubt anything serious is going on at this point; the treatments you have had are adequate for just about all the possibilities.  You definitely don't have epididymitis.  Conceivably a bacterial urinary tract infection, but I imagine your doctor has done a urinalysis or other tests for that.

If you actually had NGU, it wasn't acquired from the unprotected sex incident you describe.  NGU takes at least 7 days and often 2-3 weeks to cause symptoms.  Burning the next morning means either a chemical irritation (e.g., reaction to a spermicide) or symptoms from something acquired well before the previous night.

At this juncture, I suggest sitting tight and doing nothing for at least a couple of weeks, especially no further antibiotics.  Then return to your doctor if the symptoms persist.  But I suspect most or all of your current symptoms are related to the stress and anxiety over it all.

Good luck--   HHH, MD
so i couldve had it for a long time and no have symptoms at all? and also is it a 100% that the 10 day treatment i did w/doxycicline  worked or i have to take another test to be sure? also when u said just sit and dont do anything,does it mean "no sex or no masturbation"? last question when u get diagnosed w/ngu not caused by gonorhea or clamydia (chlamydia) what is it caused by then?and how?
thanx so much for your time and help.
Several questions there:

What causes urethritis other than gonorrhea or chlamydia (i.e., non-chlamydial NGU)?  Not certain; some data suggest a bacteria called Ureaplasma, and a thing called Mycoplasma genitalium is another possibility.  No tests are available for these things except in specialized (e.g., research) laboratories.  But even when these are taken into account, the causes in many or most cases are unknown.  The good news, though, is that except for cases caused by chlamydia, NGU rarely if ever causes serious health problems for men and doesn't seem to imply much harm for one's female partners either.

By "sit tight" I meant don't take meds or go off to additional doctors; just wait and see whether your symptoms go away on their own.  Sex per se won't be harmful.  But to be absolutely certain that any continuing or new symptoms aren't due to reinfection from a sex partner, if you have sex other than masturbation you should use condoms until this is all sorted out.

I can't tell how long you had whatever it was.  When the first symptom is sharp burning, it sounds more chemical than infectious--which is why I still think it might be due to your sexual exposure the night before, just not due to an infection.  But if you had sex with other partner(s) in the preceding 1-3 weeks, perhaps that is the source.

I hope that helps.  The main thing is that it is virtually certain nothing serious is going on.  Good luck--

HHH, MD