STDs Expert Forum
possibility of contracting HIV receiving fellatio?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hello, Here is my story. I am a male. Ten days ago I received unprotected oral sex from a prostitute. It lasted maybe five minutes. I never became aroused and was disgusted with myself and asked the woman to leave. About three days ago I began to have pain during urination. I feared herpes but saw no lesions or blisters. I went to the health clinic today and they tested me for syphilis, gonorhea and chlamydia by way of urine sample. They also put me on cipro and zithromax presuming that it is either gonorhea or chlamydia. They say it should clear up in one to three days if this is the case. The test results will be available in two days.
I moved away from my girlfriend two months ago. I have been monogamous for a year other than this episode. My girlfriend is coming to visit me in exactly 48 hrs. Should I avoid all sexual contact with her? My other question is what are the odds of me contracting HIV from this encounter? You seem to say that they are extremely low but aren't the odds of contracting gonorhea or chlamydia from one episode of received fellatio also extremely low? please help me. thank you.
The chance you acquired HIV or any other STD from the exposure you describe is low, but the occurrence of painful urination is cause for concern.  It is true that azithromycin would clear up gonorrhea, chlamydia, or syphilis, so you can put those out of your mind.  Herpes rarely causes painful urination without typical external herpes lesions, so that also is very unlikely. Nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) sometimes is acquired by fellatio, but those cases likely are due mostly to normal oral bacteria--that is, nothing abnormal that you can transmit to a partner.  So if by the time your GF visits you symptoms have resolved and you have no genital sores to suggest herpes, you can confidently have sex without any worry about her health.

I hope that helps.  Good luck--  HHH, MD
Per the CDC, the risk of contracting HIV is about 1 in 20,000.

That translate to 0.005%, which translates into ZERO for purposes of the real world.

Could you get HIV from getting a blow job?  Yes, BUT only under the strangest of circumstances such as receiving a blow job while someone had bleeding gums or blood in her mouth.  

Did this happen to you?  Not from what you report.  Thus, I would not lose any sleep over HIV.  You see how ridiculous this sounds.  Yes, there are rare instances of people giving blow jobs with blood in the mouth, but in over 99.99999% of the time, this does not happen.  If you're not reassured, check out Aidsmeds.com and Joel Gallant (wwww.hopkins-aids.com/ask).  Also call the Calif AIDS Hotline or San Fran City Clinic (can't get more front line than that).   They'll give you the same answer that you'll get here.

Now as to STDs, you are not "in the clear."  However, no need to freak out.   Since there is a risk of STDs, I would urge you not to have unprotected sex with your girlfriend.  But that's your choice.
http://qa.hopkins-aids.org/forum/view_question.html?section_id=61&id=116658&category_id=0
i do not recall her having any blood in her mouth...i never saw any blood on my penis. i remember that she did cough a few times and perhaps coughed up some phlegm but i saw no blood and certainly no open sores. But if she had a disease in the throat wouldn't it be theoretically possible for her to have blood? Also I was quite drunk so I cant say all my observations are entirely accurate. thanks again.
You don't have HIV (from this exposure).

No, not possible about the blood.  You would have noticed.  After my exposures (protected sex and unprotected BJ), I tried to convinced myself of so many things.  Got 3 PCRs, STD panel...wasted a load of money.  Thankfully, I have a generous flexible spending account at work, and will be reimbursed.  But this was a waste of mental effort.

You have no HIV risk!  Zilch, None!!!!  Take it from an ex-worried well, who is here just to help.
Thank you so much. You have all helped to put my mind at ease for the time being.
My situation is so similar to yours except that my exposure was about two minutes of received oral (as the insertive partner) before sex using a condom, about 11 weeks ago.

My symptoms have occurred nine or ten weeks on and I have driven myself into a frenzy of guilt at one stupid error in 20 years of a successful relationship. This had made everything worse but the tests show no hiv, chlamydia or gonhorrea at 11 weeks so at some point I have to leave it alone and deal with my actions.

The truth is that, whoever you speak to, in the u.k. or u.s., at a std clinic or a helpline, they all say the same - contact through fellatio is very low risk, theoretical, or in some cases they say 'no risk'. My visit to the clinic (G.U.M. clinics here in the u.k.) yielded them saying that I was a 'well-worrier' - they said that they would not normally suggest a test for hiv since I had only received fellatio - they tested to calm me. Then I persuade myself I am not in the window period, I'm the exception. I am not. I am negative for hiv and from your described scenario so are you. Good luck.

Where you are is where I am, its tough but you'll be o.k.
I received oral sex from a prostitute two days ago. Before ejaculation, I removed my condom as I ejaculated into her mouth.
My penis was in her mouth for a maximum of ten seconds. Then she spat it out. Hwever, I am worried of getting HIV from her (even though I don't know is she is HIV+). After she spat I didn't see any blood, but I'm worried because she said she had an aching tooth.
After ejaculating I washed my penis with antibacterial soap thouroughly.
Is it possible that she could have infected me (if she is indeed HIV+)?

I would appreciate your responses.
A related discussion, HELP ME PLEASE, Sleepless was started.
A related discussion, HIV from a particular situation of fellatio was started.
A related discussion, hiv was started.