STDs Expert Forum
prostatitis cause?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

prostatitis cause?

I have been diagnosed with Prostatitis. I'm a 30 yo man. My symptoms include testicle pain, back pain, urge to urinate, and a small amount of clear sticky discharge in the mornings. I am concerned about what caused my condition and have not gotten a clear answer. I have tested negitive for Chlamydia twice and Gonorrhea once. My partner has also been tested (negitive). My problem is both times I was tested came after antibiotic treatments. I think the reason my symptoms have continued is that I've passed this along to my partner although I havnt been able to prove this.I have now been off antibiotics for close to a month and am going into the doctor tomorrow. I was wondering if a Chlamydia or gonorrhea would show up on a Urinalysis as an infection being present? Should I ask for a urine culture or another test? Generally speaking would a doctor rather you just come out and honestly tell them what concerns you and what you would like an answer to?

I feel like if I could get a solid answer I would be able to let go of this stress and so forth that I've infected my partner ,ect.
"Prostatitis" is a confusing entity.  Many cases probably are not due to infection at all, and antibiotics often don't work or result in only transient improvement.  Further, many cases of prostatitis may not involve an actual prostate gland abnormality.  For this reason, a few years ago the American Urological Association (the main professional organization of urologists) recommended the term "male pelvic pain syndrome" for cases in which prostate inflammation cannot be documented.  I'm not going to try to decide whether or not you had true prostatitis or whether your doctor is on top of these issues.

As all this implies, the causes are not known.  STDs probably cause few or no such cases, and much research has shown with certainty that chlamydia or other recognized STDs are not responsible.  There is no evidence that there is any infection that puts a person's sex partners at risk.  All persons should be tested for these STDs when "prostatitis" first appears; but if they are negative, as they almost always are, there is no need for repeated testing (assuming one's sexual lifestyle doesn't risk new infection).

Although such uncertainty can be stressful, the other thing to remember is that if no definite infection can be identified, the condition is benign; discomfort is the only problem.  As far as is known, there is no risk of complications of any kind--no infertility, no cancer, nothing serious.

Bottom lines:  Don't worry about chlamydia, gonorrhea, or other STD.  Don't worry about your partner's health.  Follow your health care providers' advice.  But if you aren't confident they are knowledgeable about the details, consider asking for a second opinion.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thank doc for the quick answer. Your right about the cofusion with this problem. The thing tha got me worried was that I did and may still have a slight enlarged prostate and alot of the websites out there list those STDS as a possible cause of prostatitis. But anyway thanks for the answer and I feel better already
I'm dealing with prostatitis as well - so I'm assuming that you're ruling out herpes as a possible cause, doctor?
Herpes is not known to cause prostaitis.

HHH, MD
Hey,

I too have been treated for Chlamydia, and more recently have been experiencing pains or cramps in the prostate area immediatly after climax/ejaculation laring between 1 to 3 mins.

I read that an enlarged prostate can be caused from prolonged Chlamydia infection ... I think I should go and see my GP about this, but havent had the problem for a couple of weeks now (it seems to be quite sporadic)

Does anyone know what the procedure / treatment for this condition is?

Thanks .. great board by the way ... and thanks to the Doc(s) for the time they put in.
A related discussion, anal sex and prostatitis? was started.