STDs Expert Forum
purple/blackish sports on penis head

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

purple/blackish sports on penis head

Im a 22 year old male who has sex regularly, mostly always protected. I got tested in May and everything came back negative. I've had 6 sexual partners in between then and now, and 2 of those were unprotected. Yesterday morning I woke up with 3 purplish/black bruised  looking spots on the head of my penis. These spots are faded looking, I actually thought it was dirt at first. They were flat and there was no itching or any symptoms associated with it. I figured it could have been bruising from the oral sex i had received 2 nights prior. I decided I'd give it a couple days to monitor it before i went to see a doctor. Tonight while urinating i noticed that one of these purplish/black spots had turned into what was a brownish freckle looking thing that was slightly raised and about the size of the tip of a pen. This immediately made me think that this was genital warts. ( which it very may well be) After about 30 mins i looked at my penis again and to my befuddlement the brownish freckle looking spot was gone, and it turned back into the same purple/blackish spot as before. So I have no idea what to think. Either my body has an incredible immune system, I have some crazy form of genital warts that show themselves then disappear, or possibly bruising and blood got brought to the surface? I really have no idea. please help!!
Welcome to the STD forum.

Your initial self-diagnosis seems about right; most such spots indeed are simply the result of minor bleeding into the skin as a result of mild sexual trauma.  I can't come up with an explanation the slighly raised "freckle-like" lesion that now has disappeared.  Perhaps it was just a little bit of dried mucus or something like that (??).  In any case, a genital wart cannot come and go so quickly, and there is no "crazy form" of warts that could explain it.  If something like that reappears or you otherwise remain concerned, visit your primary care provider or your local health department STD clinic and get it checked out.  Otherwise, assuming the bruised appearance clears up -- as I expect it will within a few days -- just forget the whole thing and don't worry about it.

Regards--   HHH, MD
Thanks for the quick response. I don't think I can explain the freckle-like lesion myself, it was just that small darkish brown spot, it was raised, I felt it and it was not dried mucus. In the early stages of genital warts is there ever faded purple/blackish looking spots prior to the warts becoming more apparent?
No, that scenario isn't plausible.  I cannot imagine any of this is due to HPV/warts.