STDs Expert Forum
risk of exposure

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

risk of exposure

I recently went to a strip joint and received unprotected oral on two separate occasions (twice in a 2 week period). She looked clean, she is about 27. I do not really have any tell-tale symptoms of any STDs, however my wife gave me quick oral about a week ago after my first encounter with the strip joint, and she has been getting what she is describing as a dull ache/cramps in her lower abdomen and frequent urination. She think it may be a bladder or urinary tract infection. I am worried I passed something along to her that possibly did not give me any symptoms (something like Gonorrhea or NGU). I will say the dull aches and cramps were happening before my first encounter at the strip joint but the frequent urination is recent. Me and my wife have not had sexual contact yet. My wife did recently miscarry last Nov and has been had a rough last menstrual cycle.  My worry is more along the lines of how many men did this girl give oral too before me and although she spits it out after, there is probably is residue left in her mouth. I did ask her if she was clean and she said yes. Would like to know in your expert opinion if I need to worry, my risk and should I get tested? Appreciate your help Dr!
Welcome to the forum.

You had low risk exposures.  Oral sex isn't completely free of STD risk, but the chance of infection is a lot lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex, for two reasons:  most STDs don't take hold in the throat, regardless of exposure to them so the stripper probably didn't have any oral STDs; and even if she did, they are inefficiently transmitted by oral sex.  Some STDs aren't transmitted at all, others rarely -- and most would cause symptoms you would have noticed.  Details like you describe -- for example, whether the stripper's mouth was still contaminated with another client's semen -- make no difference.

Symptoms like your wife's are rarely due to STD -- and since her symptoms started before your strip club exposures, you can be doubly sure they are unrelated to that event.

So my expert opinion is that you needn't worry and don't need testing, and neither does your wife.  Of course if her symptoms continue, she should see her doctor about them.

I hope this has helped. Best wishes--  HHH, MD
thank you. How about HPV from receiving oral? Is that rare?
Genital HPV infections come almost entirely from genital intercourse.  Oral sex may not be entirely risk free for HPV, but it's certainly very low risk.  In any case, if you ever get HPV, you probably never know it for many years; and if your wife ever develops HPV (such as an abnormal pap smear), it will probably not be from some past sex partner, not your recent indiscretion.  It is almost never possible to trace any particular HPV infection to any particular sexual exposure.

In other words, forget about HPV -- there's no point in worrying about it.
thank you, this has been very helpful!
I'm glad to have helped.