STDS
FORUM
risk of std after 30 seconds of unprotected sex
by thunderlimbs, Jan 01, 2006
Hi, Last night i had unprotected sex for about 30 seconds.  What is my risk of std infection after such a quick period of sex.  Is it worth getting tested?  If so when should i get tested?  Can std's be passed during such a short duration of intercourse?  what are my risks?  Freaking out!!
Answer:
You don't provide nearly enough information for me (or anyone else) to make even a wild guess as to the STD risk.  New partner? Partner believed to be infected, or with symptoms of STD? Which STD? Partner likely to have had other partners recently? When and where met (e.g., introducted by friends or picked up in a bar)? Paid for sex? Partner likely to use drugs? Etc, etc, etc.

If your partner had an STD, you could have been infected--everything from chlamydia to gonorrhea to HPV to herpes to syphilis.  The lowest risk, of course, is for HIV.  The risk for STD probably is lower for only 30 seconds of exposure compared with, say, 5-10 minutes.  But there are no data to know for sure or to estimate the difference for short vs long exposure.  Most men who do not develop symptoms of STD within 2 weeks can be pretty sure they weren't infected with anything.  In general, the risk from any single exposure is low enough that I do not recommend testing after any particular exposure, unless you know your partner had an STD.  But if you will sleep better, you could be tested for common STDs.

Happy New Year--  HHH, MD
Member Comments (12)
by tfe, Jan 01, 2006
Step 1... Relax!

Okay. The legal disclaimer applies that there is a small chance that you could have gotten something nasty. However, there's also a chance that I'll win the lottery tomorrow. I was actually in your SAME EXACT position in Feb., 2005. I'll let Dr. H give you the official advice -- but I did what you did -- freaked out. I got all anxious, gave myself rashes, noticed things on my body that have been there all along. I visited the ER and local doctors and asked if I was showing any STD signs/symptoms and got HIV-tested. All was OK in the end, at least for me.

However, before the doctor replies.. you should include details as to your gender, the gender of your partner and if there was ejaculation or not.

Good luck!
by thunderlimbs, Jan 01, 2006
Hi, thanks for the information.  I am a 25yr old male and my partner was a 22 year old female.  No ejaculation took place. I stopped the activites after 30 seconds or so..
by tfe, Jan 01, 2006
I really think you'll be OK... and anything that you MIGHT have caught, there's likely a pill for.

Just keep your eyes peeled for the next week or two and look for any *REAL* symptoms. I know you'll be in a state of hightened anxiety -- so if there's any doubt in your mind that the "pain" you're feeling is self-induced, it probably is. If there's a pain so sharp it really HURTS, or if there's discharge/odor/sores, etc, get it checked out.

But... I think you'll be OK from all of that; if it'll help you breate easier, get HIV tested (if that's your primary concern) in 6-8 weeks -- but you're probably OK.

Happy New Year!
by thunderlimbs, Jan 01, 2006
Thanks tfee.  What do you think doctor HHH?
by thunderlimbs, Jan 01, 2006
Hi Doctor HHH, here are some clarifications.  It was not a new partner, this girl is a friend of a friend. We have engaged in protected sex roughly two months ago and there is nothing that would make me think that she has been overly promiscuous in the time since our last encounter. No drug use or history of drug use.
by Allison07, Jan 01, 2006
Relative risks, p.10

http://hopkins-aids.edu/publications/pocketguide/pocketgd0105.pdf
by thunderlimbs, Jan 03, 2006
Hi Doctor HHH, i posted a new question to get some further clarification on an this post but it appears to be deleted.  Do i need to post again?
Your additional questions should have been posted here.  Only a limited number of new threads is permitted per day, and there almost always are fewer openings than questions--so each unnecessary new question prevents someone from asking a new one.  Also, I disagree that there is any value in re-answering the same questions in a new thread.  If you want to re-post your new questions here, I will answer the ones that have not been addressed recently.

HHH, MD