STDs Expert Forum
scared in ct

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

scared in ct

Drs...thank you for your time....9 days ago i visited a masage parlor and recieved protected oral....performed oral on her (no protection) and had brief 2-3 min maybe of protected vaginal intercourse. i know that for the most part i am safe of all major stds...but my question is  what about scabies and pubic lice??? i have seen no evidence of eggs/nits on my pubic hair but i am nervous that every itch or twinge of my skin might be scabies....so here are my questions..
1.  what would you say my overall risk is for stds, including crabs and scabies?
2.  what is the incubation time for scabies??
the more i examine my skin the more i think i see red dots and pimple like bumps:
3.  if i did have red dots and bumps would they be itchy already or does it take time?
4.  is scabies really something to worry about?
thank you for your time...

You are correct.  Your overall STD risk is very, very low.  As for scabies and lice, if she bathes chances are extraordinarily low that your partner did not have them thus you are not at risk.  As for symptoms, with lice you see either the lice themselves or their eggs, which are called "nits" and are very small, white particle-like things that stick to pubic hairs.  Scabies presents primarily as itchy "bumps" typically a week or more after exposure.  As for your questions:

1,  Tiny
2.  See above, a week or more
3.  they would be itchy at the time they presented
4.  No, almost certainly not.  In over 30 years as an STD specialist, I have never seen a case of scabies acquired as a result of exposure to a commercial sex worker.

If I were you, I would not worry.  EWH
Thanks for the reply....
a quick follow up if you dont mind...
would ten days past possible exposure be enough time to tell if i had crabs and/or scabies??
Yes.  EWH
one last question if you dont mind.
i am now at 14 days past my massage parlor experience.  while i have noticed more red pimple like bumps...they dont seem to itch very much..not unless i think about them...and the bumps may have always been there...i just never had any reason to look before...so my last question is....given scabies 2- 6 week incubation time...is it truly ok to rule out scabies??  i know this question seems redundant...im just scared and apprecite your expertise.  so any and all scabies info u have would be welcome!!!  thank you and there will be no more what if kind of questions in the future...
Yes, scabies is ruled out.

For more information on scbies you might try the CDC web site.  EWH
thanks for the reply....but i forgot to ask is crabs ruled out too?
yes.  EWH
hi dr.  thanks for your continued help.
while i am 99% sure that my sexual experience was protected....the futher away i get from it the more doubt creeps into my mind that maybe it wasnt.  ( i was drunk)...so a quick question and ill move on....
1.  do u agree that frequent urination in the absence of discharge and buring during urination  isnt really an std symptom.
2.  do u feel that guilt and anxiety are just as likely a culprit of more frequent urination and other "symptoms" due to my paying more attention to my genitals?
Answer to 1.  I do agree.  This is not an STD
2.  Yes I do.
EWH
this is the last question I PROMISE....
i (like the rest of the population) have herpes 1....i know this bc i have tested postive for it and bc i have had cold sores before.
during my unprotected performance of oral sex...could i have contracted oral hsv 2?

thank you and no more questions from me.
Theoretically yes, practically no.  Your anxiety is out of control.  Any further questions will be deleted without answers. to continue to answer these ill founded, groundless questions will only fuel your pathological anxiety.  EWH
Doctor,

I visited a massage parlor and had protected sex.  2 days later I had an intense , almost felt good,  tingling in one spot on my scrotum.  There were no blisters that I could see just a red rash which was probably from me itching.  After about four days the itching intensified and I went to the bathroom and noticed 1 raised red bump... Almost like a mesquito bite.  I sprayed tanactin on it and it burned like I had set a match to it.  The numb went away immediately and stayed red for about 2 days.  I am just now one and half weeks from the massage parlor and I still have a bit of an itch on my scrotum that seems to have also spread to my buttocks which now have red bumps that itch only mildly with a long red rash.  I am freaking out that somehow I contracted herpes however I had no pain really no blistering, just the one that I thought was a blister that I hit with tanactin.  I have had no fever, no headaches that were in usual and the rash was gone within a week once I started using lamacil ultra.   What is your best guess here?  I have order a herpes 2 test.   I am married and can't believe I have done something so stupid.....I just wanted to see what it was like.  
A related discussion, Hepes or Candidia Infection was started.