STDs Expert Forum
scared that I have given HPV

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

scared that I have given HPV

Hi!

Recently I was told by a doctor that I have HPV (condyloma, genital warts). I can currently see the warts. My doctor told me that I do not transmit if I don¨t have any warts. About 6 month ago I had a relationship. We shared a lot of intimacy but only once did we have sex (penetration). I was protected though. More often we had sex as in our genitals were touching each other and oral sex.

My question  is, even though I didn't see any wartz could I possibly have had the HPV anyway and would it transmit? I am asking because I am concerned about this cervical cancer that could develop for the girls.  Also, my doctor told me, that I am not obligated to tell to her that I have HPV. But even so, I feel that I really should. I am scared of the thought that she will be seriously sick because of me, if I did have the HPV back then. What do you think about all this?? Please let me know! Thank you so much!
The topic of HPV and genital warts is a complex one.  I will try to provide some facts.  For addition information on this most common of STDs, I would suggest search for other HPV- and wart-related Q&A on this site, as well seeking addition information on sites such as the American Social health Association web-site (disclosure, Dr. Handsfield and I are both on the Board of ASHA)..

Now, on to HPV.  HPV is the most commonly acquired STD.  Nearly everyone will have HPV infection at some time and most people will have more than one infection; 0ver 85% of sexually active women will have HPV infection at some time in their lives.  In some HPV will cause genital warts, in others it will not cause warts but may lead to changes in PAP smears.  The virus types that cause visible warts usually do not cause Pap smear changes or cancer.  In nearly everyone who gets HPV, warts or otherwise, the infections will resolve by themselves without therapy in 8-10 months.  In a very small minority of women, HPV infection can persist and lead to the pre-cancerous lesions that PAP smears detect and which can then be treated.  

If you did not see warts, you are unlikely to have transmitted them.  In fact, perhaps you got your warts from her.  Either way, telling her is a noble and correct thing to do.  You probably did not have warts at that time and if you did, you did not know it.  Hope this helps.  Check out the web sites for more information.  EWH