STDs Expert Forum
shotty lymph nodes

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

shotty lymph nodes

Doctor please help me. I am so nervous. I went to the doctor. He examined my neck. On the lower part of my neck on both sides he noticed what he called shotty lymph nodes. I told him to check under my armpits. i have some hard tissue, or bone that sticks out he doesnt know what to make out of it. I have around 5-6 in total. I took blood work and im waiting for the results. I am so scared can you tell me what these nodes might be because he didnt know what to make of them.

He told me they dont seem enlarged but are a little bigger than normal so he didnt know what to make of it. I get sharp pains from time to time in my neck area and my groin area, what does this mean?

I noticed my wife has like 2 lymph nodes on one side of her neck as well. they move around but they feel harder than mine. is this related?

I am so nervous that it can me something i acquired sexually> can this be the case please help me.

My wife was diagnosed with a cyst on both of her ankles. Have you heard of anything like this before. Is it dangerous? Is this related to any disease you heard of?
There is no STD (that's none, zero, zilch) that presents with shotty lymph node enlargement of the sort you describe.  Most people in your situation have no serious health problem at all--and usually no cause is ever found for the lymph gland enlargements. The same almost certainly applies to your wife.  Follow up with your own doctor, who already has reassured you.  Almost certainly you have nothing to worry about, definitely not HIV or any other STD.

HHH, MD
Dear John,

First of all I'm sorry for the "uncertainty" that you are going thru.  I guess if you came here (a STD forum), you might think that what troubles you could be a consecuence of a Sexually Transmitted Disease.  Therefore it will be of great help to Dr. HHH if you tell him what type of STD exposure you think you might have had and how long ago ago it was.

It will help even more, before you come back and answer to my sugestion in this post, if your browse thru the archives and read some postings on "STD exposures" and "window periods".

Take care in good luck.
doctor please help me in answering this question. Im scared what this can be. can this be a sexually acquired disease im afraid to mention? Can several impacted wisdom teeth cause shotty lymph nodes like what i have as mentioned above?
A lot of things can cause enlarged lymph nodes. I don't think you are providing enough sexual history for someone to attempt at suggesting you get tested for STD's or not. Maybe you and your wife were both virgins when you got married, or maybe you have been having unprotected anal sex with street transvestites for the past 3 years. You see what I am saying?
well in may 05 i tested neg for any stds then in sept 05 i only tested my blood count and it came out normal. between oct - jan, i meessed around with 4 women all with protection. slept with 2 and received oral by the other 2. all with protection. is there any risk involved with what I did? please help because i am so scared. doctor can you help me? cuz right now im feeling shotty nodes in my neck on both sides.
Hi Jon

If you used condoms from start to finish and they stayed intact with the 4 women then you protected yourself very well, ( even condoms for oral!, you can't get any safer than that without giving up sex altogether. ) whatever is the problem you can cross off any std as the cause.
thank u for your help dr. im still waiting for the results and im still nervous he told me syphillis (syphilis) and hiv causes lymph nodes to enlarge and now im nervous. my armpit area felt wierd as well as my groin area.
Scattered, "shotty" nodes are very unlikely to be caused by either syphilis or HIV, and "wierd feelings" in the groin and armpit do not suggest them either  .I would bet my house against it.  Your doc is being careful and conservative; I doubt he believes syphilis or HIV is likely.

HHH, MD
thank you so much Dr. for your help. Ive been reading around the internet and it says that if you feel lymph nodes in your neck area, this is a symptom of a sexual disease, is this true? please help me with this. i noticed my wife has it around her neck area as well? im so scared and nervous.
Repeat after me:  "I do not have an STD.  I do not have an STD.  I do not have an STD."  Now go to the mirror, look yourself in the eye, and repeat it 10 more times out loud.

I will have no further responses.

HHH, MD
Thank you very much for your help Dr. Can you please explain to me what exactly is considered a lymph nodes enlargement. Im been feeling heavy around my armpits and tender in my groin area, it comes and goes as well. If it was a scary infection what other symptoms would I have other than lymph nodes enlargement. when i touch them they move around, what does this mean? Im so so nervous i just dont know what to do. Im waiting for my test results.
Aha!  You're the same person with two usernames.  I have deleted the new thread with the same questions, which started today.  I have no further advice for you except to follow up with your own providers.  I cannot help you.

HHH, MD
I am just so scared doctor. I read that it says HIV causes swollen nodes. Is in normal for your nodes to be palpable(able to feel) it in your neck area. Since my wife and I can feel then in our neck does this mean they are enlarged? when i take a deep breath my chest hurts sometimes and when i hold my break i can feel something in the middle of my chest, it feels hard, fixed and oval, can this be a lymph node? Please help me.