STDs Community
side effect of syphilis treatment

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

side effect of syphilis treatment

I started my syphilis treatment wednesday. Thursday morning I wole with chills, aches and joint pain. Do some people react with the above symptoms? Late in 2008 I had similar reaction for the same syphilis treatment. Am I allergic to it? Thank you for your help
I do not know if you are allergic to it, only a Dr can make that determination. If you have has syphilis 2x's I highly suggest that you be more careful with who you are having sexual encounter with and use condoms.

People can react to medications in many different ways, so it does sound like it is a side effect for you.
It appears that syphilis treatment is followed by what is called Herxheimer reaction (chills, joint pain, body ache, fever,  headache, myalgia (muscle pain), and exacerbation of skin lesions). [source Wiki) My Doc. did not warm me about the reaction when I asked about side effects. After experiencing those reaction, I called the hospital and the Doc I talked said this is a common reaction to syphilis treatment. I thought I share with others in this forum who may have the same reaction to syphilis treatmet.

About acquiring syphilis for the second time: the State health worker does not think I should be treated for the second time since the titers are low. The specialist also suggested that syphilis may remain at low titer despite treatment. I always use condoms for intercourse. During my last encouter I used protection for intercourse but had unprotected oral.

Thank you,
Condoms are not 100% protection again syphilis because the sore can be anywhere and it is a skin to skin contact transmission.
Syphilis tests will remain positive a while after treatment but over time the number starts to fall lower and lower.
if you've had syphilis before, they need to be testing you with 2 tests when you get tested, not just relying on the rpr only.

grace
Thank you guys for your replies.

I had the last injection for the syphilis treatment on May 26. When would be appropriate to get a syphilis screen? How long should I wait before I have sex after the treatment?

Thank you