STDs Expert Forum
sore between genitals and leg, itchy rash - help please!

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Ok, I have become really paranoid I have contracted gential (genital) herpes. I haven't had any symptoms for approx. 4 years but the thought of possibly having something is making me really stressed out. There have been 2 occasions when i have experienced symptoms, once i just noticed i was sore down the crease between my genitals and leg. The second time it got really bad, all down the crease was like a open wound. It then became really itchy, and a rash spread all over my genital area, over my bottom and up to my stomach. I stressed about it for ages and then eventually it cleared up itself. I also have had problems getting sore down the crease of my bottom, but seem to be prone to getting fungal infections, so unsure if this is related. In the last 6 months i have been extremely stressed and often depressed, going for days without eating much and drinking a lot of alcohol. I keep thinking that if it was herpes, I would have had an outbreak because i am so run down.

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks
Welcome to the STD forum.  I'll try to help.

I think I can reassure you quite a bit based solely on the title you created for your question.  (So far, that's all I have read.)  No STD is a likely cause of a sore in such a location.  The location of STD-related genital lesions, especially inflammatory ones ("sores"), usually are at the sites of maximum friction during sex -- i.e. the penis, vaginal opening, labia, or anus (if exposed).  And the crease between genitals and leg is not an especially common site for recurrent herpes.  So my guess is that no STD is the problem.

Now I have read the rest and see herpes is your main concern.  For the reasons stated, that's a very unlikely cuase of your problem.  In addition to the wrong location, the spreading rash doesn't suggest herpes, and neither does a lesion that starts out as an open sore.  And herpes doesn't spread to cause spots/sores as widely as you have had.

On the other hand, skin creases in the lower part of the body -- between genitals and skin, buttock folds, in the groin, etc -- are very common sites of garden variety infections like staph or strep; to skin inflammation due to moisture and warmth (especially in people who are obese, but sometimes in thin folks); or to superfical fungal infections -- to which you say you are "prone".  Some of these, especially staph/strep, can cause hair follicle infection (folliculitis) that spreads to the pubic area, lower abdomen, etc.  And excessive alcohol intake can also contribute to all these things.

Finally, you don't say whether you have any other reason to be concerned about genital herpes.  Have you had a blood test for HSV, and if so what did it show?  Have you had a sex partner known to have herpes?  Have you ever had more typical symptoms, such as blisters/sores directly on the genital area?  (I don't know whether to you are male or female, by the way.)  And by the way, being "run down" probably does not trigger genital herpes outbreaks, despite what you might have read.

My advice is to see a health care provider while you have active sores/inflammation, i.e. before they heal.  My bet is that you have some sort of non-STD skin inflammation of the kinds I just mentioned -- and not herpes.  in the meantime, feel free to add a comment with some of the missing information.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Hi, thank you for your fast response.

I am female by the way. I am not aware that I have been with anyone who has herpes, i just googled my symptoms and the lesions seemed to point to herpes (it seems everything can be herpes). I have not had any other symptoms, apart from when i panic about having herpes my legs start to ache, but when i get on with things these sensations seem to go (without any sores or physical symptoms arising).

When you say that a lesion wouldn't start as an open sore, how would you expect it to start?

The only other symptoms i have had recently are that after showering if i do not dry myself properly i get a very sweaty odour from the area between my legs and genitals.

thnks again for your help

Herpes lesions start with small red bumps that within 1-2 days become blisters, then may open into sores.  The individual sores rarely are more than about 1/8" in size.  The whole process, until complete healing, takes 10-14 days.

Odor with moisture is typical for skin irritation due to moisture etc.  It also fits with bacterial and fungal infections. If you are overweight, all this fits together.  Treatment usually is pretty easy -- maybe with antibiotics.  Do visit your doctor about it.  You don't have to be going through such discomfort and anxiety.  But in any case, you can forget herpes.

Since this isn't an STD problem, that's as far my advice can go.  Take care.