STDs Expert Forum
sores inside of mouth

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

sores inside of mouth

I have sores inside of my mouth, one on the gums right below my teeth on the bottom, it is kind've like a white circle and is painful. I thought maybe it was a canker sore but I'm not sure because I also have HSV1 and have gotten cold sores since I was little, but usually they  are on my lips or outside of my mouth.  Anyways, I gave oral sex to my boyfriend yesterday and then we had sex afterwards.  Later on, I noticed that underneath my tongue on the fleshy part right below my gums right next to the frenulum I have a bump on one side.  It felt kind've like a cut at first but I was playing with it with my tongue and it feels like it got a lot bigger and it hurts.  It is like a small bump.  It is the same color as my gums but I was wondering if this could be herpes inside my mouth on my gums and underneath my tongue next to the frenulum and if I could have infected myself with herpes by giving my boyfriend oral sex and then having intercourse with him.  I know that it is possible to transfer HSV1 through oral sex but I was wondering if you think these sores in my mouth are HSV1 or if they are probably just canker sores or something else?
As you have noted in the past, recurrent oral herpes generally occurs outside the mouth, on the lips etc.  Further, a particular person's herpes manifestations pretty much stay the same, i.e. all your recurrent herpes probably will always be in more or less the same area on your lip.

Canker sores are by far the most common cause of sores in the mouth.  There is nothing in your description that suggests you have anything except garden-variety canker sores.  Visit your doctor or dentist if you remain concerned about this.

As Dr. Hook mentioned in one of your many past threads, you are obviously over-anxious about your health and perhaps other things.  I hope you are able to get control of that someday.

HHH, MD