STDs Expert Forum
std worry!!

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

std worry!!

hi doc,

i had few sexual encounters with csw with condom with some mouth kissing sometimes.. stopped everything this year and tested for hiv n syph which came negative.. I read about herpes and hpv and got really scared now.. i have never been tested for that but i have no open sores or any kind of herpes symtoms (symptoms).. once a pimple appeared 3 months back in the pubic area but dint burst just went back into the skin again my gp told it was from heat like a swollen hair follicle.. when i read herpes it says it can come from skin-skin contact... so if the girl was above me like sitting on my penis during intercourse can i get herpes very easily even with condom.. once i remember getting itching and burning sensations in my inner thigh 6 months back and my gp told it was a fungal infection and gave me a cream and it stopped.. no sores or blisters.. but i developed a small skin tag in inner thigh which is there for around 6 months till now.. can it be from any std.. i am just worried and my questions were

A) if my penis just touched her vagina (while she was naked on top without intercourse) *WITHOUT CONDOM* and like touched the outside and inner thigh area can i get any std and....

B)if she is sitting on me while intercourse can i get it even *WITH CONDOM* like skin to skin contact which is her inner thigh and mine touching and rubbing during sex.. and her vagina outer layers and my testicles touching and rubbing... i m nervous .. please help..never had sex oral/vaginal without condom..never had sore in mouth or genital area till now...

my gp is telling i m fine and no need of any testing and he tells i am free from stds.. just want to ask an expert like you for peace of mind.. so i can concenctrate on my work rather then thinking avout this all the time..and should i get tested for anything now!!

Welcome to our Forum.  I will be glad to try to help out. First however, let me compliment you for talking with your GP about your concerns.  This is good practice and unfortunately, some patients are fearful about asking their GPs sexual questions.  In addition, I agree with your GP in general and will comment a bit more below,

I must admit that there is a theoretical risk of getting STDs which can be transmitted by direct contact (herpes, syphilis, HPV) with infectious lesions even in the absence of penetrative sex.  Thus condoms markedly reduce the risk of getting even these STDs, typically by more than 60%.  In addition, since most lesions for the diseases mentioned above occur at sites where condoms cover the site, the overall reduction in risk associated with condom use is actually greater than the 60% figure I mentioned above (for instance, in men, over 85% of genital herpes lesions occur on the shaft or head of the penis which is covered when condoms are used, thus condoms protect this area).

Thus, while touching of the sort you mention above could, theoretically lead to transmission of infection, it will be most uncommon.  I would not worry and would not suggest testing.

I hope this comment is helpful. EWH
hi doc,
   Thankyou for the quick reply... its been 4 months and no sores and blisters... so if i want to do any testing for std what testing can i do to find out for herpes.. and if their are no symptoms for this long it means i mostly don t have herpes or any std.... and what about the skin tag for like 6 months in my inner thigh just want to check if it can be of any kind to std symtoms (symptoms).. thankyou once again and it will be great if you can answer this last question...
In the absence of any specific symptoms, I would not recommend testing of any sort.  In the absence of symptoms, testing is often misleading due to problems with false positve results.  EWH
Sorry to trouble you doc...but the second half of my previous question was about skin tag and the itching and burning in inner thigh during that time which happened few days after the csw encounter around six months back..can this be a symptom to worry about any HSV or HPV... and i am gettting married in december (arrainged marraige) so is it fine? or should i do any test before it because i don t want to give it to the girl so i was just a bit worried... sorry and last question and thankyou once again for the help!!!
No, these symptoms do not suggest HSV or HPV.  You need to relax and move forward.  EWH
Hi doc .. I just out of curiosity read other people questions in the forum and in some cases you have given a likelihood say for example like 1 in10000 or 1 in 100000... What will it be in my case.. And if I din t get any symptoms for the next 1 year does it mean I m mot infected.. This will be my last question.. and thankyou for your help.. I will not worry anymore.. thank you!!
The risk of HIV from a non-penetrative sexual encounter of the sort you describe above is less than 1 in 100,000 and probably much lower. Very, very low and not somethng to worry about.

No reason for worry.  Take care. EWH
Sorry doctor .. my question was for HSV or HPV.. thankyou  once again.. does ur answer change.. sorry to post again because I saw HIV..
You are having trouble with your anxieties.  This will be the final answer.as I said above, the risks are theoretical and any estimate of the likelihood of acquiring either infection is just that, an estimate.  For  HSV the risk for infection would be less than 1 in 10,000.  For HPV it is unknown.

End of the thread.  EWH