STDs Community
std's and menstrual cycle

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

std's and menstrual cycle

I am looking for some clarification on something.  I have had conflicting information given to me regarding whether or not an std can affect a women's menstrual cycle.  My own doctor said it can't however information on various state sponsored sexual health websites say things like "a woman may only notice a change in her menstrual cycle, discharge or recurring uti's if she has an std".  Is this true?  I have been tested for all the std's out there, none have been found and yet at the same time I started experiencing various symptoms such as a ongoing discharge, my periods changed to every 23 days as opposed to every 28 days which they've been for 20 years.  This all started approx. 1 week after having unprotected sex.  Even though they have been unable to find any std, is it possible that having sex with this person triggered something?  Thank you very much for any information you are able to give.  
No, stds shouldn't affect your cycle.  Lots of things could be causing this, and you need to follow up with your doctor.  Hormonal changes or issues can cause discharge along with changes in your cycle.

Aj
thank you for your comments.  After testing negative for everything else, I came to the states to get tested for herpes (really difficult to get a doctor to test for it in Canada - especially without sores).  I just thought that perhaps it was an atypical presentation of hsv 2; however after testing at 14 weeks, the test came back negative for both 1 & 2.  I'm assuming that 14 is long enough, so I've moved on from that and am still looking for answers.  My doctor actually said to me that he's stumped...no medical reason for the constant discharge; and he thinks the sudden change in my menstrual cycle is just coincadental.  To me, it seems so illogical that 1 week after having unprotected sex with a new partner (1st new partner in 20 years - go figure), these symptoms come out of nowhere.  I will follow up with him on the idea of hormones.  I just turned 40 a couple weeks ago.  Thanks AJ.
Could this be perimenopause?

Aj
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers