STDs Expert Forum
still painful 4 months after chlamydia treatment

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

i hope someone can help me... how long can you still have discomfort and slight pain in the urethra after treatment for chlamydia? 4 months ago i tested for chlamydia (anal swab tested for chlamydia... i don't know if this matters but all my symptoms have been in my penis and i didn't have anal sex but my doctor said chlamydia is easily transmitted even if i didn't)... anyway i was treated with shots and three pills for chlamydia and gonorrhea at a clinic, then was put on 10 days of doxcycline two weeks later after i still complained of symptoms... since then i have been tested twice and all tests have come back negative yet i still have daily bouts of pain mainly in my urethra and i know it's not in my head... it's also uncomfortable to urinate... the doctor put me on yeast medication because she thought it might be a yeast infection... still i have pain and it's been more than four months... is this normal... how long until i can expect to have relief and what could this be? i tested for hiv and everything else and all those tests came back negative.
Usually there is no good explanation for situations like this.  In addition to follow-up chlamydia testing, which you have had, you should be examined and tested (e.g., urine or urethral swab) to see if you have persistent urethritis, due to something other than chlamydia.  Yeast is not a likely explanation but perhaps such treatment was worth a try.  Treatment for possible trichomonas, i.e. metronidazole [Flagyl] or tinidazole [Tindamax], might be worth a try as well.

But it is possible you just have ongoing symptoms due to the original infection, but not indicating any continuing infection.  If you think about it, this is pretty common with any body injury, whether from trauma, infection, or something else.  For example, someone with a sprained ankle may continue to have pain for a few months after the sprain is completely healed.  The genitals are the same.  In other words, this may be nothing that requires treatment, in which case the symptom probably will gradually fade with time.  If your doctor cannot find any obvious cause and if treatment for trichomonas doesn't help, you should just sit tight and not worry about it.  Almost certainly you have nothing that will cause serious health problems in the long run or that you can transmit to a sex partner.

Good luck--- HHH, MD
1 Comment