STDs Community
strep or std?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

strep or std?

Ok.  My boyfriend and I have unprotected oral sex.  Recently, I have been having an upset stomach, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, vaginal itching, some vaginal blood, swollen lymph nodes, a mild fever, and a white sore in the back of my throat.  My doctor said it was strep.  However, I read somewhere that strep and some STDs can have the same symptoms.  I am currently on ammoxicillin (spelling?) but that wasn't prescribed to me until after most of the symptoms were gone.  I feel fine but the sore is still there and my neck is still swollen.  Since my mom was in the room do you think he just said it was strep instead of an STD?  We live in a small town so everyone knows everyone's business.  I also had an insane amount of caffiene (close to 20 cups a day) before I left school for thanksgiving.  I didn't have hardly any at home for a week so maybe some of the symptoms are from withdrawal?  Also, I've had a white sore like this for the last couple years that usually comes around this time, but this year it feels different.  I know thats alot to ask but I need an in depth answer so if I have an STD I can get it treated without my parents knowing while I am at school.  Thank you.  
Wow - 20 cups?  No wonder you feel icky, and with strep on top of it.  Some of your symptoms could be stomach upset from too much coffee or soda.  If it was soda, that's very acidic and can really upset your stomach, too.

Did he do any genital testing?  My guess is that he probably just did a throat culture, and it came back as strep.  You probably weren't tested for stds.

Did you tell this doctor that you had the genital symptoms?  I'd wonder if you and your bf are sharing strep with oral, and now you have it genitally.  Unfortunately, if you tested for stds now the results might not be accurate because of the amox, but in 2 weeks, you can test for everything.  When you do test, make sure to tell them that you had strep throat, and ask them to culture your vagina for bacteria to make sure you don't have that genitally.  You should also ask for an oral swab since you perform oral.

Where is the white sore?  Your throat?  That could be strep.

Aj

Ok yeah 20 cups and for the most part it was just coffee... maybe an occasional soda but mainly coffee.  

They didn't do any testing back home, my doctor just looked in there and said it was strep.  I went to my health department at school the next day and had them do a throat culture to check for strep or an STD.  The first test came back negative for strep but they said that was most likely because I had had a couple doses of amox.

I also asked my bf if he had strep recently and he said he hasn't been sick in years.  The only person I've been around who had strep was a girl on our floor who had it a month ago.  I was in her room a few times but never ate or drank after her and spent as little time as necessary in there.  

The white sore is in the back of my throat on the left side kind of behind my tonsil?  I'm gonna plead ignorance and say I'm not really sure if those are my tonsils but I'm assuming they are.  

Oh, and I forgot to say this the first time, but since I've been here, I've tried a few cigars.  Ok, more than a few, more like about 5 packs in 3 months.  I know I've been horrible on my body and my boyfriend and I are definately going to slow things down and be safer no matter what, but what are the chances that I've just got strep and just a bad case of not wanting to go to class instead of an STD?  Because now my boyfriend is really freaking out.  And if i do have an STD how treatable are they?

Also, I forgot to mention
Only lab tests are going to be able to determine what you have going on.  I wish I could tell you more, but lab tests are needed here.

And it depends on the std - some are totally curable with antibiotics, and others are just managed.

Aj
I have had some of the same symptoms. Could you tell me what happened? I also just got my period so my abdominal pain was probably cause by that. And I haven't had a loss of appetite at all. And it definitely looks like strep because I've had strep multiple times and unfortunately know what it looks like.
This post is form 2008. Start a thread and ask a question.