STDs Community
syphilis after 4 yeras... please help
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

syphilis after 4 yeras... please help

Hi. I am 24 years old male. had syphilis when i was quite young age of 20.
Have been successfully treated years ago and haven't had it for 4 years. But i still have one question.

Can i infect someone after 4 years even if have been treated successfully?

I have been using condoms ever since, but it broke recently and i am not sure if i am still contagious

9 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
thankfully syphilis is easily treated with antibiotics.

that said, condoms are not 100% protection against contracting syphilis.   periodic testing for herpes and syphilis is recommended even if you always use condoms.

have you had your gardasil shots for hpv yet?

grace
Blank
hi. No i haven't  gardasil shots.  I still do my check ups thought, there haven't be any sign from active syphilis.
Thats why I was wondering, can you infect someone even if syphilis is not active and haven't been active for years?
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
you shouldn't be concerned about you infecting someone, you should be concerned about someone infecting you with it again. make sense?
Blank
well im not worried about myself, because i am in monogamous relationships and my partner is clean. I am worried about her health.
Thats why i created this post to find out more.
But i still don't have clear answer.
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
why do you think you still have syphilis? that's a pretty unrealistic fear at this point.
Blank
isnt it in my blood for whole life? information on internet isn't really clear. everywhere where i have checked says the same thing. that you can get infected again if you practice unsafe sex. but i haven't seen any article about explaining what happens when you are successfully treated except - you have to do go for check up over 2 years.
thats why i was bit confused
Blank
580755_tn?1357673215
What does the word success mean to you?

The antibodies can stay in your blood for a long time, so you may test positive for years but you will get a lower tier number.
Blank
anyways, i know all this - Antibodies to syphilis can remain in the blood for years after someone is treated and cured, so a person who no longer has the infection may still test positive.
the main question was can i still infect others...
but i guess know my answer
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
no, you can't still infect others.

we also don't recommend 2 years of follow up either!!
Blank
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
STDs Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979