STDs Expert Forum
syphilis

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

syphilis

hi i had protected sex and gave unprotected oral to a women 10 months ago after 7 days my throat got swollen but not painful so at 10 days i had a full std test includeing 10 day pcr hiv test and and throat swab all came back negative,so i thought fine but 6 months later my eyes went dull and a bit yellow and a bit blood shot then i got bad pains in my stomach little needle pains on the right mid section of my stomach and i lost my appitite for a week.So i went to the docters and told my problems and he said he was pretty sure that nothing was wrong and because the weekend before i had been hard drinking that could have caused the pains, but he done a full hepatites blood test anyway because i was worried. They came back negative then about two weeks later my glands in my groin popped up and have been up for 6 months now could this be syphilis i have had no sore come up but might have noticed a bit of a rash on the bottom of the feet after six months prior exposer and have bought 4 hiv home test kits all negative and 4 home syphilis kits from different web sites and all negative what are the chances this is syphilis i live in the uk. i have a wife and her glands are up two in the groin what could this be please help.
Welcome to our Forum. Syphilis is rare, in the UK, as it is in the U.S. and the majority (over 50%) of syphilis is now acquired by men who have sex with men, not through heterosexual contact.  Further, syphilis acquired through condom protected sex or through oral sex is vanishingly rare.  Putting all of this together, the chance that you got syphilis through the exposure you describe is very, very low.  

Swollen lymph nodes can be due to an enormous variety of things.  My advice would be to see a health care provider to first, find out of you have significantly swollen lymph nodes (that you can feel lymph nodes does not mean that they are abnormal) and if they are abnormal to secondly, help you sort out what might be causing them.

I have no experience with home syphilis tests and cannot on them, however if they are approved for use in the UK, they are likely to be accurate.  You might seek further input from your local GUM clinic.  Most UK GUM tests provide excellent, highly confidential care at a reasonable cost.

I hope these comments will help.  EWH