STDs Expert Forum
thrush cause?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

thrush cause?

I recently developed a white coloring on my tounge in clusters.  It seems to be thrush.  I had unsafe sex a month ago, and am worried this is a symptom of HIV. I am going to get tested, but was wondering if the thrush could have been caused by a medication I was taking.  I took flagyl for a week and stopped a little over a week ago.  Could the medicine I was taking have caused the thrush?  thank you.
White coating on the tongue is very nonspecific; it can be normal or can appear in response to colds or other common viruses--and it can appear in response to antibiotics, including metronidazole (Flagyl).  Thrush always involve more than the tongue; I doubt you have it.  As to whether you have HIV, you don't provide enough information.  It is extremely rare to acquire HIV after a single episode of unprotected sex.  If you are an injection drug user, a gay man, or a sex partner of one of those, then you should get HIV tested from time to time.  Otherwise, don't lose any sleep over this episode.

By the way, why were you prescribed Flagyl?

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I had a parasitic infection. by the way, I am gay.  thanks for the info.