STDs Community
transmission of stds through kissing

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

transmission of stds through kissing

Can stds such as chlamydia, herpes and hpv be transmitted from mouth to mouth by kissing?

This discussion is related to Transmission from kissing....
yes.
No.  STDs can only be transmitted through sexual contact.  The only thing that might be transmitted through kissing is oral HSV-1, which is not considered to be an STD in this context.
Best,
Em
No - Emma is right.

Aj
Do not listen to Emma_08 or antiejessi.  Although it is rare, oral chancres due to syphilis are highly contagious and CAN be spread though kissing.  It is unfortunate that some people with limited knowledge of std's post incorrect information on the internet which can put others at risk that take their incorrect advice.
Logan -

I have said before that syphilis transmission via kissing can happen, but its rare enough that unless someone has symptoms, they don't need to worry about it.

Transmission that way is RARE, syphilis itself is very uncommon - you put the two together, and there is NO reason whatsoever to worry about it.  Even the doctors in the experts forum say they've never seen a syphilis transmission via kissing in their years of experience (about 30 years each).

And you are entitled to your opinion, but we don't get insulting here.  You don't know my qualifications, or Emma's, so you should be careful about the statements you make.

Aj
Can a single chancre occur way below the lip in the mouth? I have a blister but I think it's from biting my mouth. I often get canker sores.
It could.  If you are concerned about a sore, get it checked by your doctor.

Most likely, if you think its from biting your mouth, it probably is, but it wouldn't hurt to get checked.

Aj
I will put it this way.  It is possible but not probable.  However, just because it isn't likely, doesn't mean that it can't happen.  Look at the Mayo Clinic site and they mention that syphilis CAN be spread through kissing!  Now do you want to rely on the (wrong) answers given above by individuals that are not doctors or do you want to rely on the FACTS stated by Mayo Clinc (which is the most highly regarded medical establishment in the world)??  The correct answer to the above question is: yes, you CAN get a STD through kissing although it is a very small risk.  Remember this, just because something is unlikely, doesn't mean that it is not possible.  If you don't believe me, just talk to someone that won the lottery.  His chances were many millions to one yet he won!
Why are you adding to a thread that is almost a year old?  We have resolved this.  We said syphilis by kissing in theory is possible, in reality, not at all close to likely.

No need to stir the pot to really only repeat what I had already said.

Aj