STDs Expert Forum
ulcers

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

ulcers

Hi. I am a male living in South Korea and recently had unprotected oral sex with two female prostitutes in a red light district. At the time i didn't know the risks associated with this. Anyway, about 5 days later i went to the doctor and was diagnosed with gonorrhea. I have had this once before so at first i wasn't so worried. however, the same day i had a fever and the next day two very small ulcers appeared on the inside of my lower lip. Unfortunately i am married and i had sex with my wife the day after the event. she too got a small ulcer the day after me. This is too much of a coincidence for me to ignore. Last time i had gonorrhea i didn't show any of these symptoms.

my question is this. Do you think it is possible these ulcers are a symptom of the gonorrhea or something else. They were slightly painful but went away after only one day. I have also had a sore throat. I have researched symptoms of gonorrhea but couldn't find ulcers.

Let me also give my thanks to you for providing such a usefull forum. I have read a lot of the questions and find them very informative.
If "the same day" means the day your gonorrhea was diagnosed, i.e. 5 days after the exposure, the combination of oral ulcers, sore throat and fever is suspicious for herpes.  If it means the day of your sexual exposure, then the ulcers clearly are unrelated to that event; it takes at least 2-3 days for herpes lesions to appear.

Thank you for your kind comments about the forum.

HHH, MD
why the hell did you have intercourse with your poor wife UNPROTECTED after sleeping with 2 dirty prostitutes!UGGH! that is not in the least bit fair. if i were you, i would high-tail my a-- to the doctor as soon as possible, you are infecting innocent people. please be more concientous next time if you decide to have sex with hookers, USE A RUBBER!!!
as i said before i was not aware of the risks involved with oral sex. for some reason i thought it was different to vaginal sex and i was safe. I definitely wouldn't have slept with my wife if i didn't think i was. as soon as i found out i had an infection i stopped sleeping with her, told her what had happened and we are both being treated currently.
I'm glad you're being treated for gonorrhea.  What did the heatlh care provider say about the oral ulcers, sore throat, and fever?  If symptoms are continuing, and especially if getting worse, get tested for herpes (if available in your part of Korea); and if the doctor agrees herpes is a good bet, you should start anti-herpes therapy while awaiting the test results.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
firstly, yes it was 5 days after exposure. I also thought it might be HSV1 however my doctor dismissed this saying HSV1 ulcers are located on the outside of the lips and last for about a week. He said not to worry about it. I have been tested for HIV and syphilis although he said both of these are low risk especially in S. Korea. I read that ulcers and a sore throat can be a symptom of gonorrhea. Is this true?
My doctor also said it could be an STD common in asians. However, he said that is unlikely because caucasians are unlikely to get this.
sorry one more quick question. It would be impossible for these things to be symptoms of HIV right. They manifested themselves within 6 days of exposure.
Your doctor is wrong (twice).  Recurrent oral herpes is almost always external, but the lesions of initial infection usually are inside the mouth; your symptoms are very typical.  And there is no STD that affects ssians but not caucasions.

Your symptoms do not suggest HIV infection; and yes, they started too soon to be HIV.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
thank you very much doc. I will inform my doc and ask to be tested for HSV1 and HSV2. Although i guess it is unlikely to be HSV2 as it is located in my mouth.
HSV-1 is more likely, but if you had oral contact with one of the sex worker's genitals, you could have oral HSV-2 infection.

HHH, MD