STDs Expert Forum
(un)Reasonable fear of Syphilis?
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

(un)Reasonable fear of Syphilis?

Good Morning Doctors from a frozen England!

I'm late thirties male, married, healthy (I do have anxiety and self esteem issues and am having counselling) and hitherto STI free but have been bi-curious for a while, but have never acted upon those feelings, preferring to be faithful and monogamous until recently. Anyway, I ended up going to a gay sauna - I was just curious. Ended up kissing another man quite vigoursly and there was some touching; his fingers on my bottom, etc and possibly very light and brief penis (his) to body (mine) contact. The other man firtsly gave me a handjob. He then tried to perform oral sex - in trying to do so, and just in time I covered myself up and didn't allow this to happen.

Realising that I was feeling very uncomfortable with this situation, I removed myself from the Sauna and went home. That was the absolute extent of my encounter.

Fast forward, it's been nearly nine weeks since this regrettable encounter. In those nine weeks I have been watching my body for any signs of infection and have to say that there has been none -

No pain when urinating
No discharge,
No ache's or tenderness in my testes.
No signs or blisters, lesions or chancker sores.
In actual fact, no nothing that would be considered sinister in terms of STI infection.

I think ultimately what I am worried about is Syphilis - as I've heard that almost all cases are in the Bi-sexual and Gay communities.  Which has worried me a little. So, in light of that my question is;

Have I put myself at risk for Syphilis or any other STI's and is there a need to test just to be sure?

Grateful for any advice given.