STDs Community
understanding rpr test results

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

understanding rpr test results

Dear Dr.
I tested positive for Syphllis, was on antibiotic for 30 days, and later retested. I received a copy from the testing facility an although they said it would be in plain language, it's still pretty much greek to me.. can you help?  The tests that were run:  RPR (result/flag:  Reactive Abnormal,  reference/interval  Non Reactive); RPR Quant (result/flag 1:16 High, reference/interval NovRea<1:1) & T pallidum Ab (FTA-Ab) (result/flag Reactive Abnormal, reference/interval Non Reactive).  I'm confused about the "reactive abnormal"  vs  "non reactive".   Does it mean I'm still positive for syph & need further treatment?  Or does it mean there are antiboties present, and I'm "non-reactive" because of previous treatment??  Thanks for your help.

This discussion is related to Reliable syphilis test result?.
This is not the Dr's form, I can not help you on your results. Others here might be able to. You would have to go to the Dr's form and pay $15 for the possibilty of your question being answered.
Do you have your first test results?  What you are looking for is a four-fold drop in the numbers.  You have a 1:16 now.  As long as your first test was above a 1:64, you can be assured you have responded to the treatment.

It can take some time for the antibodies to decrease, so you should test again in another few months to see if there is a further drop.

You might always test positive, but your numbers shouldn't be above a 1:2, give or take.

Aj

Auntiejessi,
Thanks.  Yes, my orig test was 1:64, was on antibiotic for 30days.  was supposed to be retested the following month, but it took longer b/c of work schedule & no insurance.. and yes.. tested just last week it was 1:16.  The PA said to be restested again in another month... but didn't reorder another Rx of the antibiotic.. is that not necessary... will it continue to go down without further treatment?
THANKS!!
Yes, it will continue to go down without any more treatment.

Why did you take the antibiotic pills for so long instead of getting a shot?  Are you allergic to penicillin?

Test again in a couple of months, and you'll see its dropped more.

Aj
Well, took antibiotic for so long for 3 reasons, 1 allergic to penicillin, 2 unknown date of exposure & 3 co-infection with HIV, so my Dr. said had to take it for 30 days.  It's quite trying, having lived in nyc for so long being used to more than adequate health care and what's available here in rural northeast mountains.  Services here are below minimal to say the least, but that's another story.  THANKS SO MUCH for your help & information.