STDs Expert Forum
unprotected oral sex and penis sore & painful urination

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hi Doctor,

I'm a 23 year-old man who live in Indonesia. I recently, about a week ago, had an unprotected oral sex from an Indonesian sex worker. Since then, I was very scared of contracting any kinds of STDs. This is my FIRST time ever to receive an unprotected oral sex. Problem is, now I have a painful urination (it's been 3-4 days) and just recently I spotted a single sore on my penis. I feel the painful urination comes from the tip opening of the penis and the sore is on the penis shaft (top part). I don't know if these things happened because of an STD or because due to anxiety, I keep rubbing my penis quite hard when I try to clean it during bathe and keep holding and turning my penis to check if I have developed any symptoms of STDs. If this is a sign of STD, could you explain what kind of STD is that and can it be healed ? I know herpes can't be healed, so I hope its not herpes.....

Please help me, I'm scared to death !!! Thank you very much.
Welcome to our Forum. I will try to help by telling you what you should ask for and look for.  I think that you need to seek the evaluation of a trained health care provider (doctor)( who is familiar with sexually transmitted infection problems.  Pain on urination of the sort you describe may be a manifestation of urethritis- the medical term for inflammation of the penis.  Urethritis may be caused by a number of different things including gonorrhea, chlamydia and other bacteria.  Tests for urethritis include taking a swab from the penis to look for signs of infection under the microscope and testing, often testing urine, for gonorrhea and chlamydia.  These problems are easily treated once you know what might be causing them.

As for the sore spot on your penis, this can only be evaluated with examination by a health care provider as well.  It may be that in your efforts to wash your penis you have caused irritation.  Alternatively, this could be an STI such as herpes.  Only with examination and testing will you know.

I would suggest that you seek evaluation and NOT treat yourself with medications before you are examined.  Self-treatment makes the job of the doctor more difficult.  

I hope these comments are helpful to you.  Until you see your doctor, I would not wash your penis as hard as you have been. This may be causing some of your soreness.  EWH
Hi again Doctor,

Your answer makes me really scared, knowing that after reading this forum, all your answers are generally very positive.

I got several questions:

I'm wondering if it is possible that my painful urination came from the fact that I rubbed my penis too hard ?

Also, How bad is it if I contracted any of the STDs you mentioned ? do I need HIV testing too?

I will try to get tested in about 3-4 days. I don't want my parents to find out this problem.  

Thank you.

Yes, it is possible if you have irritated your penis.

IF you have contracted an STI it will be easily managed.  EWH
Hi again Doctor,

I feel like I'm dying now. I havent got tested but I went specialist in Indonesia. She said my sore can be a herpes. I feel like I wanna die when I heard that. And for the painful urination she said it might be chlamydia. She said I don't need a test now because I haven't passed a month mark after exposure.

I got this medicines from her:

1. Antibiotic - ZYCIN - Azithromycin 250 MG.
2. INCLOVIR (eat this after Antibiotic is finished) - Valacyclovir 500 MG.
3. Custom-Made mixture for applying to the sore.

Please help me to evaluate if these medicines are good enough.

I can't eat, sleep, do everything right now. Please help me and please also do tell me chance of contracting HIV and any other STDs is very very low, knowing that this is my first time ever did this and it was only oral sex, not intercourse.

Thank you again Doctor.
You are now being treated for chlamydial infection and herpes without knowing what was there.  You should have been tested.  The Dr. who told you that she could not test was wrong and has now put you in a position in which you will not knowwhat you had.  Without test resutls you will not know.  

You are not at rsik for HIV.  There are no cases of HIV ever proven to result from receipt of oral sex.  EWH
OH MY GOD... I took 2 antibiotics. That's all... so How and what should I do now ?!?!
Can I go to another doctor tomorrow to get tested ?
Testing at this time will be of little help.  Not much more to do. EWH
Sorry to bother you again Doctor,

I'm still waiting for tests results on Chlamydia and Herpes for tomorrow. The other STDs are all negatives.

I got a question for you. If I contracted Herpes HSV-2 and I touched the sore with my hand and I sniffed it to see if it is smell, is it possible to spread the virus to my nose ? I did that couple of times and now I just came across.

Thank you Doctor.
Hi Doctor,

My tests all come negatives (all STDs). But I took anti-biotic medicine. Is it possible because of medication that tests become negatives ? Or just the incubation period is not yet met ?

Please answer my last post also. Thank you very much
Also, please let me know if this forum has limit to answers, I really don't mind  paying money for your precious answers.