STDs Community
ureaplasma urealyticum and mycoplasma hominis

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Hey,

(not sure if this is the correct place to post this)

My wife went to the doctor about 6 weeks ago after finding it very painful to have sex and developing an itchy rash inside her vagina.  After numerous tests the doctors confirmed that she has ureaplasma urealyticum and mycoplasma hominis.

My wife has been on a course of tablets (assume they are antibiotics) and a liquid to clean her vagina - both were for about 3 weeks.  This helped reduce the pain and itchiness but have not solved the problem.

What i really need is some simple advice

1) What are ureaplasma urealyticum and mycoplasma hominis (I thought they were the same) - how do they / it develop and is this usually a long term problem
2) What are the standard forms of treatment - should we be worried that the first course of tablets and liquid failed to solve the problem

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can give, it is really appreciated!