STDs Community
ureaplasma urealyticum and mycoplasma hominis

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Hey,

(not sure if this is the correct place to post this)

My wife went to the doctor about 6 weeks ago after finding it very painful to have sex and developing an itchy rash inside her vagina.  After numerous tests the doctors confirmed that she has ureaplasma urealyticum and mycoplasma hominis.

My wife has been on a course of tablets (assume they are antibiotics) and a liquid to clean her vagina - both were for about 3 weeks.  This helped reduce the pain and itchiness but have not solved the problem.

What i really need is some simple advice

1) What are ureaplasma urealyticum and mycoplasma hominis (I thought they were the same) - how do they / it develop and is this usually a long term problem
2) What are the standard forms of treatment - should we be worried that the first course of tablets and liquid failed to solve the problem

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can give, it is really appreciated!